Delayed boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

sellmesanity

Hey all. Whenever I leave my computer off for a couple of hours, after pushing the ON button, there is a delayed boot, there is no activity on the computer at all, no fans or anything until 20 or 30 seconds. Could this be a motherboard capacitor problem? I just got a new processor, a Dual core 3800+ Athlon x2. I have a decent power supply...could it be dying? Help me get started in trouble shooting...does anyone have any suggestions or experiences with delayed boots? After it boots up the first time it turns on fine until I leave the computer off for a couple hours.

a delayed boot could be a failing PSU or a bad relay on the psu. I would try another PSU and see what happens.

I bet the more powerful dual core CPU that I got caused my PSU to finally start failing after the year and couple months i've had it. It's still under warranty, do you think this situation warrants an RMA?

Ok so I replaced my PSU with a 520 Watt OCZ PSU. It still does the same thing. I am really confused...why would getting a new processor do this? The next thing to try is a different processor...or different motherboard? Or maybe both. I am leaning towards the motherboard though.

the last Bios update for my mobo was April 2006. It supported dual core a long time ago. I already have the latest bios update.

I am RMAing both the motherboard and the CPU. My computer is doing a lot of weird ****, to top it off I got a black screen with only the cursor showing. No hard drive corruption either (chkdsk came clean), something is messed up for sure. I am testing the hard drive tonight by unplugging the SATA and power cables and starting the computer from a cold boot tomorrow morning. The new PSU seems to have improved the boot time, but it still takes 5-10 seconds to turn on the computer in a cold boot after pressing the Power button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back