Delete file in pen drive

Hi I am using a transcend pen drive to transfer files between my netbook and desktop, both with XP when I delete folder from the pen drive while connected to the desktop, it shows the pen drive as empty and thereafter I "safely remove" the pendrive. however, when I insert it into the netbook, it shows the data still present. if I now re-insert it into the desktop, it shows the data again. ?? btw if I delete it when connected to the netbook, it stays deleted and does not show up again! what gives? I have emptied the recycle bin too. am wondering if there are some settings I need to change. I just got a new desktop and am transferring my data onto it from the netbook! thanks, appreciate any answers in advance!

Likely you need to ensure that the pen-drive has the NTFS permission for <everyone> to be full control.

Use any Administrator Login, insert the Pen Drive, right click the pen-drive-letter -> Properties->Security

Likely you need to ensure that the pen-drive has the NTFS permission for <everyone> to be full control.

Use any Administrator Login, insert the Pen Drive, right click the pen-drive-letter -> Properties->Security

thanks for your effort. if the issue was with the pen drive I dont see why it will allow deleting files when connected to the netbook. also, when I tried what you suggested, " properties " has five tabs, but none of them is security. :-(

" properties " has five tabs, but none of them is security.
then you need to boot into Save Mode on XP/Home
I dont see why it will allow deleting files when connected to the netbook
The NTFS permissions are specific to the system. Perms on SystemA are not valid on SystemB.
The <everyone> is the bridge across systems

Connect it to the Netbook, delete the file and fugetaboutit! :)
:)
Brilliant, Cinders!
the problem is that this happens EVERYTIME, with ANY files I try to delete from a pen drive connected to my Desktop.
(a) its annoying and pesky
(b) I worry it might be the harbinger of further bad news! " a stitch in time.. .. .. "

FAT32 has no permissions other than Read-Only, so it must be how the device is 'mounted' when you make the attachment.
The system performs a mount process for all removable devices - - even printer.

Open My Computer, right-click on the drive letter for the pen drive->properties

Does it show Read Only?

FAT32 has no permissions other than Read-Only, so it must be how the device is 'mounted' when you make the attachment.
The system performs a mount process for all removable devices - - even printer.

Open My Computer, right-click on the drive letter for the pen drive->properties

Does it show Read Only?
no, it does NOT show "read only"

Back