Delete file in pen drive

By doctorvinay
Dec 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi I am using a transcend pen drive to transfer files between my netbook and desktop, both with XP when I delete folder from the pen drive while connected to the desktop, it shows the pen drive as empty and thereafter I "safely remove" the pendrive. however, when I insert it into the netbook, it shows the data still present. if I now re-insert it into the desktop, it shows the data again. ?? btw if I delete it when connected to the netbook, it stays deleted and does not show up again! what gives? I have emptied the recycle bin too. am wondering if there are some settings I need to change. I just got a new desktop and am transferring my data onto it from the netbook! thanks, appreciate any answers in advance!
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,273   +280

Likely you need to ensure that the pen-drive has the NTFS permission for <everyone> to be full control.

Use any Administrator Login, insert the Pen Drive, right click the pen-drive-letter -> Properties->Security
  3. doctorvinay

doctorvinay Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks for your effort. if the issue was with the pen drive I dont see why it will allow deleting files when connected to the netbook. also, when I tried what you suggested, " properties " has five tabs, but none of them is security. :-(
  4. jobeard

then you need to boot into Save Mode on XP/Home
    The NTFS permissions are specific to the system. Perms on SystemA are not valid on SystemB.
    The <everyone> is the bridge across systems
  5. doctorvinay

ok, will try this and get back! thanks ! :)
  6. doctorvinay

I checked, its not NTFS, its FAT 32 now what? :-(
  7. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

Connect it to the Netbook, delete the file and fugetaboutit! :)
  8. doctorvinay

:)
    Brilliant, Cinders!
    the problem is that this happens EVERYTIME, with ANY files I try to delete from a pen drive connected to my Desktop.
    (a) its annoying and pesky
    (b) I worry it might be the harbinger of further bad news! " a stitch in time.. .. .. "
  9. jobeard

FAT32 has no permissions other than Read-Only, so it must be how the device is 'mounted' when you make the attachment.
    The system performs a mount process for all removable devices - - even printer.

Open My Computer, right-click on the drive letter for the pen drive->properties

Does it show Read Only?
  10. jobeard

11. doctorvinay

no, it does NOT show "read only"

12. doctorvinay

thanks for the effort.
    doesn't help though
    when I did all the steps, I was able to make the USB write protected.
    but when I removed the write protection, still not able to delete file!
    :-(

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.