Delete my thread, replies to, or parts of

Poppa Bear

I checked the Help/FAQs to try and find a way to delete certain replies to my oiginal posts, or delete some of my replies to others' responses, and it suggested using the "Edit" button at the end of each message.

However, when I use the edit button to totally delete all text in a message, it says "Lengthen message to at least ten characters."

Is it possible to totally delete unwanted responses to my original post so I only keep the really helpful responses for purposes of cataloguing replies?

Poppa Bear, you cannot delete others posts, nor edit others posts, and you cannot completely delete your own posts. The best thing you can do is edit it to something like "This messages has been removed." or something in that general area.

mopar man is correct, there should be no need to delete your posts anyway. If you absolutely have to have one deleted, ask a mod to do it for you.

Is it possible to totally delete unwanted responses to my original post so I only keep the really helpful responses for purposes of cataloguing replies?

Poppa Bear by doing so, the replies after your edited posts may not make sense
I have read all your posts, none absolutely require removing (close, but no!)

Please do not edit out your messages, as others (searching) may have similar issues, and your reply may be the exact info they need

Post Deletions

Poppa Bear by doing so, the replies after your edited posts may not make sense
I have read all your posts, none absolutely require removing (close, but no!)

Please do not edit out your messages, as others (searching) may have similar issues, and your reply may be the exact info they need

Thanks guys. Yep, point taken.

Is there some way I can file and catalogue all or parts of certain replies, so I can easily access them for future reference. These would include posts which contain important links or charts such as DOS commands and how to use them, forum rules,etc.

This would save wading thro columns of posts and replies, trying to remember which post it was, to find the needed info.

Yes

It's that old copy and paste scenario again

I would recommend copying the text into Word (so as the links will work)

But normally I just copy info into Notepad, and then copy the links to Internet Explorer, if ever needed again

More info needed

Hi Kimsland,

Sorry to be obtuse, but I'm a bit lost at the last bit of your reply.

But normally I just copy info into Notepad, and then copy the links to Internet Explorer, if ever needed again

I understand copying and pasting an article to either Word or Note pad. What I don't understand is the bit about adding a link for that info to IE. Do you mean a link to a particular section of a post that I can access? Or a link to a Word or Notepad document I've created and saved to my PC? Or are you talking about the actual links that are in a post that you save by adding to Favorites in IE?

Or are you talking about the actual links that are in a post that you save by adding to Favorites in IE?
Yes that one :)

I copy those links to Notepad, mainly because my Favorites are chockers !!
And your information that you copy to Notepad, may not make sense without the links

Links

Cheers Kimsland, :grinthumb

Totally understand your favorites being chockers. I don't know how you keep up with all the posts and replies you have to do. I think I'd be pulling my hair out in lumps. You must have a good filing reference system set up to remember where all the applicable articles and web pages are stored that you refer Techspot members to.

I try to save all relevent technical articles and links to a storage partition of my hard drive. PB

Ok you're right

My Favorites aren't the only thing that's "chockers"

I have at least a couple of hundred Notepad text files full of info
Actually I might save it to MHT so I can open them in IE ;) :)

Here we go again. Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is an MHT and how would you open it in IE?

Maybe I should do a short course in computers! I'm strictly an amateur and never used a PC till about 10 years ago, so everything I do is self-taught by hands-on trial and error; and by talking to different people who like playing with PCs. Hence my lack of knowledge with things like MHT, URL etc. I've seen them but never really knew what they meant. Am learning though, now know what a URL is thro your forums. Cheers PB

Yes but you still need to remember as well, otherwise no "short course" will help you.

I winked above (and smiled) because we have already discussed MHT here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post675626-8.html

Up the top of that single post you will see "Thread: Attachments to replies" (Top right hand corner) You can click on Attachments to replies to see the whole thread again.

By the way, trying to locate all this old information, took me a few minutes

I think you may be creating too many Threads and replies too
(ie they're getting confusing - this thread is about "Delete my thread, replies to, or parts of"

I'd say resolved

Final

Yes I agree. I think I need to go away and catalogue and digest all the info received up to date.

Thanks for your help and patience. Cheers PB :wave:

Back