Delete selected restore points

By gbhall
Mar 24, 2008
  1. To minimise my C: drive before I take an image, I like to delete as much guff as I can first. I lately realised when using the XP Windows Drive cleanup feature that it offers to delete 'all but the most recent' restore point.

That would be useful, except I would like to selectively delete restore points, because I deliberately make certain restore points before installing utilities I am not too sure about. Just keeping the last one leaves me feeling vulnerable !

Anyone know a way to do this in XP ?
  2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,261   +92

Can I delete individual restore points from the system volume information folder?

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,160   +599

Great info! Could you share where this was found please??
  4. Matthew

I provided the link in my post, jobeard (it's a hyperlink). Here it is again except without the hyperlink:

If you're asking how I found it, it was a result of whatever I searched for at
  5. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,424   +77

very interesting, if true. How does it square with the ability of the inbuilt XP drive cleanup to 'delete all but the most recent restore point' ??
  6. Matthew

To be honest, I don't know much about it, never really looked into it for myself as I don't use it, and that's why I went ahead and searched for/provided the third party information above.

I don't have the time to read up on it right now, but if nobody gets back to you by tonight/tomorrow I will take an hour or so to try understanding the process and explain it to you the best I can.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.