TechSpot

Deleted Linux partion from dual boot now can't start

By monton
Jan 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I deleted the Ubuntu partition from a XP Home/Ubuntu dual boot system. I needed the space on the drive for Windows data & programs. I used parted magic and expanded the remaining primary partition. On boot I get the following

GRUB loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait
    Error 22

That is all I get

I need to be able to launch into Windows for work related data. How do I remove GRUB and will that allow windows to start?

Any suggestions? I'm a bit at a loss right now on how to proceed.
    Thanks for any help
    Monton

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,145   +1,532

Do you have Windows XP install media? You could do a repair install. I'm not sure about Windows XP, but Windows 7 will repair damaged or missing boot files.

3. monton

monton TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 147

I don't have the OEM XP Home disk but have an XP Pro. I'm taking another shot at it and will report back

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,450   +324

It's the MBR that needs a fix to point to the XP partition (which is just fine).

5. monton

Thanks Joe

Can I use the fixmbr command from the windows recovery screen?

6. monton

From the recovery console (from XP Pro disk) I tried the following

bootcfg /disableredirect
    and
    fixboot

neither worked

I then tried fixmbr and despite the ominous message about life as we know it would end and the possibility of unleashing 7 great plagues upon the earth, I continued. Rebooted and all is well

Thanks for the help
    Monton

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,450   +324

You're welcome :grin:

Years ago, I had a 'professional IT help-desk' person give up on such an issue and said "Oh well, I'll just reimage the drive" to which I shrieked "Like Heck; I'll fix it myself" - - took some reading, but that experience lead me to saving my system and now it's also saved yours. Gives me a warm fuzzy for the rest of the day :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.