Deleting Program Files folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

5aq1b

Hi

I have two partitions. C and D.
C is for system and D is for installs.

I just intalled windows 7 over Windows Vista on the C drive and it moved everything to Windows.old folder however the previous Program Files folder exists on the D drive. Is it ok for me to delete that?

Thanks

I think not, all the programs you had before installing windows 7 are probably located in this folder. Try right-clicking on the shortcut to some programs you had before you updated, and select "Properties". Check if the shortcut target is "D:\Program Files\something".
I'm not 100% sure about this, I always do a clean installation when changing OS, to get rid of a lot of garbage.

it appears no programs are installed as the start menu is empty, just like how it would be from a fresh install. It's just that the old program files folder is still there though

I suppose you have a Program Files folder on your C: drive, which belongs to Windows 7. It should be safe to remove the D:\Program Files folder, unless Windows tells you not to do it when you try to delete it. Just in case you can zip the folder to a completely different location before you delete the folder, and use your computer a few days to see if everything works fine. If it does you can delete your zip-file.

Start menu is ONLY shortcuts,

Did you formate C.\ under instalation of windows 7(made the partion clean)?
If yes then many of the programs in d:\program files will be unuseable (due missing registry files)
If no then you might still use em on old OS(if not completly overwriten)

After a complet reinstalation of windows will Program Files normaly be safe to remove from other partions than the system it self, if your not tend to keep older instalation of windows.

I just intalled windows 7 over Windows Vista on the C drive and it moved everything to Windows.old folder however the previous Program Files folder exists on the D drive. Is it ok for me to delete that?
That means you probably didn't do a clean install, in fact, Vista may still be on your computer, which could be very conflicting.

...it moved everything to Windows.old folder...
When you do an OS update instead of a clean install Windows moves all old system files to the Windows.old folder. But existing programs SHOULD have been added to the start menu, as far as I know. So I'm a little confused. 5aq1b: maybe you could tell us exactly how you did the installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back