Deleting Program Files folder

By 5aq1b
May 9, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi

I have two partitions. C and D.
    C is for system and D is for installs.

I just intalled windows 7 over Windows Vista on the C drive and it moved everything to Windows.old folder however the previous Program Files folder exists on the D drive. Is it ok for me to delete that?

Thanks

2. lopdog

lopdog TS Maniac Posts: 378

I think not, all the programs you had before installing windows 7 are probably located in this folder. Try right-clicking on the shortcut to some programs you had before you updated, and select "Properties". Check if the shortcut target is "D:\Program Files\something".
    I'm not 100% sure about this, I always do a clean installation when changing OS, to get rid of a lot of garbage.

3. 5aq1b

5aq1b TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 83

it appears no programs are installed as the start menu is empty, just like how it would be from a fresh install. It's just that the old program files folder is still there though

4. lopdog

I suppose you have a Program Files folder on your C: drive, which belongs to Windows 7. It should be safe to remove the D:\Program Files folder, unless Windows tells you not to do it when you try to delete it. Just in case you can zip the folder to a completely different location before you delete the folder, and use your computer a few days to see if everything works fine. If it does you can delete your zip-file.

5. AntiBurn

AntiBurn TS Rookie

Start menu is ONLY shortcuts,

Did you formate C.\ under instalation of windows 7(made the partion clean)?
    If yes then many of the programs in d:\program files will be unuseable (due missing registry files)
    If no then you might still use em on old OS(if not completly overwriten)

After a complet reinstalation of windows will Program Files normaly be safe to remove from other partions than the system it self, if your not tend to keep older instalation of windows.

6. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,368   +125

That means you probably didn't do a clean install, in fact, Vista may still be on your computer, which could be very conflicting.

7. lopdog

When you do an OS update instead of a clean install Windows moves all old system files to the Windows.old folder. But existing programs SHOULD have been added to the start menu, as far as I know. So I'm a little confused. 5aq1b: maybe you could tell us exactly how you did the installation?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.