Deleting temp internet files on Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macx

Friend of mine has Vista, I've never worked with it.

She needs to clean out all files that could be used to find
that she's been on the internet and esp. Yahoo email, but preferably
without installing any obviously new programs.

If something like ATF Cleaner would be the best way, what would
be a good place to put that for easy but unobtrusive access?

She needs to delete things that in XP would be Temp Internet Files,
Windows Temp files, User Temp Files, Recent Doc's, etc -
in other words, clean out all those temp files.

I don't suppose there are any settings available to prevent those
types of temp files from being accumulated?

In IE & Vista, how does one delete or empty History?

Thanks!!

I use CCleaner, but you still need to go to Event Viewer and clean out those logs too.
Actually there's also Tracks created in registry (I use to use Tracks Eraser Pro) but that costs money
And there's still the Pagefile, that you need to set to no pagefile (to remove it) then restart and put it back again.
Another handy program was Bcwipe, which can also remove traces of history, and wipe at the same time.

There's also the hundreds of text files (log files) created all over Windows on applications start and end times.

And lastly the actual Websites you visit keep records too ! (you can't remove these though :(

There's just too much history in Windows

kimsland said:
I use CCleaner, but you still need to go to Event Viewer and clean out those logs too.
Actually there's also Tracks created in registry (I use to use Tracks Eraser Pro) but that costs money
And there's still the Pagefile, that you need to set to no pagefile (to remove it) then restart and put it back again.
Another handy program was Bcwipe, which can also remove traces of history, and wipe at the same time.

There's also the hundreds of text files (log files) created all over Windows on applications start and end times.

And lastly the actual Websites you visit keep records too ! (you can't remove these though :(

There's just too much history in Windows

Being I've never worked with Vista, can you please tell me:
where to find Event Viewer
where to find this Pagefile and how to set it to "no pagefile"
and then to "put it back again"?

Thanks!

Run
c:\windows\system32\eventvwr.msc

(I found the below on a Google search, I knew it anyway, but I didn't want to write it all out )

go to control panel. then click on system. then where your pc's name is listed, click on change settings. click on advanced, then on the first "settings" button listed. then click on advanced tab, then on "change". click on each drive, and click on "no paging file". then, you have no page file upon restarting ur pc. If you ever need to restore it, follow all steps EXCEPT when you get to the list of drives, click on "let windows manage my page file" and restart ur pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back