Deletion of iamfamous.dll keeps appearing after reboot

By baronv
Jan 1, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I need some help today if you tech guys can help me out. During a routine run of AVG it caught the iamfamous.dll virus. I chose it to delete the virus and it did show removed from the Firefox components folder.

But when I reboot my computer again, the file comes back up. Is there a way to permanently delete this virus from my computer?

Attached is my current hijack this log report and a screen cap of the findings from AVG. I also found an autorun virus that came in on my wife's Crative Zen mp3 player that she got on Monday and I think AVG fixed that issue. It's the iamfamous.dll that keeps coming back up. Already removed it via AVG x3 and it pops back up.

I also did see a "resycled" hidden folder in my C drive that keeps coming back even when I delete it. Could this be a part of the virus also? When I delete the c:\resycled\boot.com, autorun.inf items they keep popping back up as well when I use Spybot.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
  2. baronv

baronv Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Mods, please close this thread. I was able to both remove the iamfamous.dll and the recylced/boot.com infection (after spending 5.5 hours on New Years day!) by going into Safe Mode and following the instructions on the link below from Majestyk.

precisesecurity.com/blogs/2008/09/20/resycledbootcom/
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.