Dell 4550 dead - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just replaced the motherboard in a dell dimension 4550, it now however wont boot. No fans will run, nothing is working. There is however a green light that works on the motherboard when it is plugged in. Anything that may have gone wrong, that is common, and would cause such a problem would be appreciated or any suggestion on what is wrong.
Thank you

Hmm, what kind of motherboard are you trying to boot off? What PSU do you have?

I'm not sure if the Dell PSU is able to run on non-dell motherboard.

Did you borrow your friend's power supply and try it out?

The most simple explanation would be that you didn't put the power switch on the right jumpers.

I got a dell dimension 4500/4550 motherboard and haven't switched out any of the core out for different brands, I have tried to run it off the original power supply that came with the computer and its still didn't run

First of all, are you aware that board is obsolete?

Second of all, are you trying to replace the identical board, or it's different board?

Have you tried to communicate with Dell technies for some solutions?

I received the new motherboard from a reliable source off ebay and is identical to the old one removed. I have not tried to communicate with dell yet for I have found that most times I go to the producer for tech help I end up wasting a lot of time and ending with no answers.

Hmm. well, how much did you pay for that board anyway, because it could be better if you start over with custom pc instead of Dell?

It would be better, however I really should fix this computer because its my brother's and it died while he was at college....

Same issue here. It started as a locking up issue. The computer would freeze, not respond to anything but an unplug and then would not power back up.

I've done everything I can think of. The computer will work fine for days on the bench, and I can turn it off and move it 6 inches and it won't do anything...no fans, no power, no nothing. The only way I can get it back on is to take out the CMOS battery, unplug the power supply and leave it setting for 3 or 4 days. (Just taking out the battery, unplugging it, pushing the power button for a minute doesn't cut it.) It takes DAYS of being off....And then it *might* fire back up.

It will act up completely assembled, and stripped down to a HD, mobo, and PS laying on the table. It's not a temp issue, as it will fail to power up after days of being on, or after days of being off. I've tested the front panel button too. The only thing I can figure is a loose connection or something with the CMOS....I'm about ready to junk it and start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back