Dell D630 Graphics Problem - Black Screen When Newest Driver is Loaded

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Latitude D630 that was wiped and has a clean install of XP Pro on it. I'm trying to reinstall all the drivers from the Dell website, as there's no system restore disk, etc. I've gotten everything back to good except for the integrated Intel graphics card.

I tried to install the software/drivers for it from both the Dell site (the D630 page) and also the updated software from the Intel site (specific Intel graphics card page), but both installations cause my screen to go black upon install, and the only way to get it back is to reboot and pick Last Known Good, which reverts to the generic drivers that XP installed for it. I've tried multiple installs & uninstalls, and all have had the same result.

It's not a huge deal as the laptop works fine with the generic drivers, but not only am I tired of getting the "your computer has discovered new hardware" (my graphics card) message each time I boot up, but I can see myself playing some games on this laptop and doubt the generic drivers will support anything decent.

Any ideas? Should I delete the generic drivers before trying to install the real ones, etc.? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back