Dell diagnostics, how to clear log file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop, was thrown in the trash because (AFAI can tell) there were several keys dead on the keyboard, random shut downs from overheating because fan was dead, had some Windows errors, etc. After installing new keyboard, new fan, wiping hard drive and reinstalling Windows, I ran Dell Diagnostics from F12 boot menu just for the heck of it. I got the error code 0146, 2000-0146, Log contains previous errors. I did a full low level format as suggested by the diagnostics....using UBCD with the proper hard drive (Samsung) utility. After full format and reinstall, I get no errors from the UBCD Samsung utility. But when I go back into F12 Dell Diagnostics, I get same error....Log contains previous errors. Where is this Dell log stored and how do I clear it of these previous errors? I ran the Samsung utility again just for S&Gs and it says the drive passed perfectly with no errors, so this has to be a problem with Dell Diagnostics storing old errors. Does anybody know how to clear this log of previous errors?

Ironically, this computer also has a bios password on it which none of the previously posted suggestions will remove. So I can't go into the bios to look for a log file setting. I was still able to update the bios though, which I did do to fix the battery error that's common in these Dells. Makes me laugh I can update the bios, but can't get into it! I'm ignoring that issue from here on out since nobody is allowed to talk about it on this forum anymore.

I'm thinking about deleting the hidden partition that Dell puts the diagnostic utility on. I have already completely formatted the hard drive, low level, and reinstalled Windows fresh. So I'm wondering how that diagnostic partition even survived. Do you think if I'm able to get rid of that partition completely, it will also get rid of the log file? I'm assuming that's where the log is stored. I have a bootable CD with Dell diagnostics, so the partition is not really neccesary on the laptop.

I thought you might have a bios password issue here too. Deleting the diagnostic partition will not remove the password. I don't know about removing the log files. Both these files might be stored in non-volatile RAM on the motherboard

I didn't think it would remove the password, since that's stored in the bios, and I'm talking about deleting a partition on the hard drive. Of course now I can't figure out how to delete the partition since it's not visible with any partition software I've tried so far. Just thought I'd get rid of an unneeded partition to see if it gets rid of the "old error" message. Dell is not one of my favorites, and getting worse all the time, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back