Dell Dimension 2350 won't power on

Mark Fuller

My friend has an old dell dimension 2350 that won't power on and he asked me to take a look at it. When I hit the power switch, the keyboard lights flash once and it will not power up but the power light, cdrom and cdrw lights come on and stay on and when I try to shut it down with the power switch it will not shut down and I have to unplug it. The monitor is on but doesn't even display the dell screen. Also, the motherboard light is on.

I would say the motherboard is bad, but it could be a bad power supply even though you get lights. The power supply is cheaper to replace first. Because this Dell is "old", the power supply may be special or proprietary. You may have to buy a Dell power supply especially made for that model computer

no powering up

i would agree it seems the mother board is fried or the power supply is fried as well. Might just be cheaper to just purchase a new computer rather than try to repair this one

Have you tried booting into Dell Diagnostics, you will find the instructions on the Dell site. It could also be a faulty memory card, try booting with one removed, then try the other.

Back