TechSpot

Dell Dimension 2400 CPU upgrade

By sod13
Sep 7, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hello everyone, I just upgraded my dell demension 2400 cpu from a 2.4 celeron to a 3.06 pentium 4. Works fine. I enabled hyperthreading in bios. My queston is why does it say the clock speed is 1.60 instead of 3.06. I know my motherboard supports the chip. It works fine. I just don't know why the clock speed says 1.60. Shouldn't it say 3.06 or is it supposed to say 1.60. It's a northwood p4 533fsb/512/3.06. Thanks.
  2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Is it listing the CPU in BIOS as the correct CPU you now have fitted.

It sounds like it hasn't fully recognised the CPU to me.
  3. sod13

sod13 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I just found out using my check it diagnostics program that it is a mobile penium 4. Would that be the reason why.

I guess i just answered my own question. Oh well I just wasted $40. I'm not going to spend any more money on this system. I only use it for web surfing. My daughter uses it for itunes and social networking. Still works better than the celron processor I had in it. Maybe I'll just leave it in. I just don't want to spend $600 or more on a new computer every five years.
  4. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

If its still working better than the previous CPU you haven't wasted your money really. $40 isn't much for a CPU by all accounts.
  5. sod13

Thanks Leeky for replying to my topic and trying to help. Appreciate it.
  6. EDO219

EDO219 TS Rookie Posts: 298

7. sod13

Yes, it's a pentium M. I wish 3b tech would have said that on their web site or I wouldn't have bought it.
  8. EDO219

EDO219 TS Rookie Posts: 298

Well, it seems that the Pentium M often out-performs the Pentium 4 Mobile, so I think you did quite well. ;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.