Dell Dimension 2400 CPU upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if a Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 2.8GHz Socket 478 Processor would work with a Dell Dimension 2400 motherboard that has a intel Celeron 478 pin processor 400Mhz Fsb? Will it work if the Pentium 4 processor is 533Mhz? I'm not that good with computers so help me out. Im just trying to upgrade. Thx ^_^

I also have a Dimension 2400 and want to upgrade it.
Are either of the following likely to work?

1) Intel Pentium4 3.06ghz Socket 478 533fsb

2) Intel Pentium 4 3.06Ghz Processor

sSpec: SL726
Socket 478
512 Cache
533 FSB
0.13 micron

I notice number 2 is a Pentium 4 M. Does the mobile bit matter since I want to use it in a Desktop. Will the Speedstep cause me any problems?

Thanks
Regards
Jonathan

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with 2GB of RAM. (DDR)

I will like to upgrade my Processor to the best compatible chip.

Right now i have a 1.6GHz Processor.

Thank for the help,
Mynameishere1. :)

Give me links to the Processors Please.

Upgrade Dell Dimension 2400

I, too, would like to upgrade my system.
now, I'm not too familiar with all this.

currently, I have...

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.20GHz
bus speed - 99.7
2 gb RAM (maxed out)
I'm running XP pro SP 3

I want to make this not difficult.
Can I just upgrade the processor. I'm looking to make my system faster. does upgrading the processor upgrade the FSB too and the cache's?

thanks ahead

Your CPU change will not mean much...
What memory do you have DDR or DDR2... you can sometimes upgrade your memory by substantial amounts...
Increase your hard drive from a 5400 rpm to a 7200 rpm to a 10,000 rpm...
But your Front Side Bus cannot be speedily upgraded... and that is the problem area as FSB is determined by the motherboard.
The Dell 2400 is a reliable, but limited system.. it was designed as a basic system with few extras and no upgrades... and the case is too small to improve the motherboard by much... the Power Supply is also limited... usually at 230 Watts with 12 watts on one rail...

This might be a good time to upgrade the motherboard and CPU together with a 500 watt 2 rail power supply... using a last year's or October 2008 motherboard.. Memory is very cheap right now. Motherboards that are slightly out of fashioned can be great... Find a deal on a Gigabyte board because they are very low cost now compared to a while back... a mid tower case...
You could begin building a great system for not too much more than you could with the improvements you wish to make on the Dell.
But upgrading your processor in that Dell is a waste of money, and an invititation to hardware trouble buying stuff like new CPU fans, power supplies, switches and such to keep it running.

Prepare for the future, because it is coming.

I have a similar system that would only take a 533 FSB Intel CPU, so I had to use the 3.06 GHz Pentium 4 HT, that is the fastest my mobo can handle. It is a huge improvement over the 2.8 GHz Celeron that came with this as that CPU really sucked in retrospect. Both of the CPU's are slow as heck compared to the latest dual/quad cores, but I am happy to have this at least. :)

I agree with raybay. With as little as $300 you could have a completely new system that is faster than your current one by leaps and bounds.

raybay,

my memory is DDR. I have it maxed out at 2GB.
are you saying, that my best bet is to build a new system in a new case? so, I cannot use my current case to upgrade?
and if I can keep my current system case, I have no idea what motherboard to buy.

I have another case that is a Dell Dimension XPS R400. I don not know what's inside. is this better than my 2400?

thank you
you all are really great.

The XPS R400 is a Pentium II machine; much worse than your current system.

So yes, building a new PC is the best way. We can recommend specific parts given a budget and your exact location.

You can re-use your HDDs and other stuff from your old system though. The only items you will need to buy are a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, video card and PSU. All of this can be had for $300 or even less.

If your data is imporant.... if you have programs such as income tax, photographcs, accounting, spreadsheet, word processing documents... it is wise to save them to a safe location before you start changing things a lot...

Not necessarily. The XPS R400 was a Windows 2000 machine. It was a rugged computer built for constant use in an office or business setting. But it was last built in 2000, so is 9 years old, and came with Windows 2000 instead of WXP. I don't remember the memory maximum for sure, but as I recall it could hold only 384 MB or PC133 RAM in three 128MB modules...
I have no idea what the hard drive would be... but you could save files to it while you work on the Dimension 2400.

Actually, the Dell Dimension 2400 is a reliable hard working computer that will accept 2 GB or memory... It is remarkably fast for a basic home computer... It is limited in power supply output. It is limited in video graphics. But it is a darned good computer if not pushed beyond its limits.

I do agree with Rage_3K_Moiz that building a new one, if you have the budget is the way to go. It would be unwise to spend more money on the 2400 unless it is just to keep in running.
It is do-able... but slightly frustrating the first time... can be done cheaply, and will change you permanently... Exciting, even!

Stick with what you have, if you wish... that's no skin off anybody's nose.
But if you want to move into today's level of gaming, build yourself a new computer, and DO NOT use those old cases... they are way too old and limited... the 2400 is five years old and the XPS is at least 9 years old.
It is great fun for most serious users to build their own gaming machine with all the parts you DO NOT HAVE and CANNOT GET with current components.

The rest of the world didn't stop learning and creating, so why should you.

Every day you use either the 2400 or the XPS, you are slipping further behind... and nobody cares, unless you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back