Zen 4 CPU prices fall dramatically, Ryzen 9 7950X is now down to $554

Daniel Sims

Staff
What just happened? Since launching in September, AMD's Zen 4 processors have struggled to sell against Intel's Raptor Lake due to price and compatibility disadvantages. Team Red has addressed the situation with deep price cuts around the globe, but it's unclear if these are permanent drops or just holiday deals.

Retailers have cut the prices on all Zen 4 CPUs this month. Europe and China saw prices fall by almost 30 percent for all models, while in the US, they decreased by roughly 15 percent.

Newegg, Amazon, GameStop, and B&H chopped around $120 off the 7950X and 7900X. Meanwhile, the 7700X and 7600X are now $50 cheaper than at launch.

Zen 4 CPU Launch MSRP Current Price Price Change
Ryzen 9 7950X $699 $554 -21%
Ryzen 9 7900X $549 $474 -14%
Ryzen 7 7700X $399 $349 -13%
Ryzen 5 7600X $299 $249 -17%

The cuts started in China earlier this month, where all Zen 4 CPU prices fell by around a quarter, with the 7950X going down by 27 percent. Similar drops hit Europe over the weekend, with the flagship processor becoming almost €200 cheaper. In Europe and the US, these prices may only be for Black Friday, while in China, they might have been for Singles Day on November 11.

Reports made it clear last month that Ryzen 7000 was having trouble. That month's Steam hardware survey brought further confirmation, with AMD CPU user share dropping against Intel. It isn't hard to see why. If the new prices hold up after the holidays, it'll be because of Zen 4's weak sales.

Team Red's choice to start a new CPU socket platform with AM5 means that anyone buying a Zen 4 processor needs a new motherboard. Furthermore, AM5 motherboards only accept the still-new and expensive DDR5 RAM.

The older Ryzen 5000 CPUs still get the job done for most users, have become far cheaper this year, and work with the mature AM4 motherboards many users likely already have. The 5800X3D is an attractive deal. Raptor Lake, which Intel launched this year, is even more versatile. The company's 13th-generation processors support DDR4 RAM but let users upgrade to DDR5 whenever they're ready.

Zen 4 only makes sense for users looking to buy or build a new PC from scratch, but Intel could soon find itself in a similar situation. The 14th-generation Intel CPUs will probably move to a new socket platform, making that upgrade more expensive. Meanwhile, AMD customers who hop onto AM5 now will have an easier time upgrading to Zen 4's successor. Each customer must judge their upgrade paths individually while the two vendors transition to new sockets.

Permalink to story.

No price cuts in Australia, 7950X well over $1.1K at most shops with a few running at $930.

Man, you guys just get raked over the coals with consumer electronic costs in Australia. Those prices are awful, but still better than the 4xxx series GPUs.

Price cut at my local Micro Center!
Was $699.99
Now $699.98
Save $0.01!

In fact, all the AMD 7xxx CPUs at my Micro Center, you can save $0.01! I'm so going out to buy one now.....wait, no I'm not. Still overpriced.

Well the one good thing is because of their chiplet design they still have plenty of margin to cut prices. So while it seems like people are calling fire, for AMD there is still plenty of money to be made on the silicon.

Imagine you bought you're ryzen 7000 day one ...
If you always play the waiting game, you're never going to buy anything.

Wait for the prices to come down a lot....by then something new is just a handful of months away so you wait to see what it offers. Then you like what it offers, but not the price so you wait for the price to come down and by the time it does something else has come along so you wait to see how it performs. Pretty soon you're on your death bed and you've never purchased anything because you're always waiting for the next best deal or next best thing, you never got to enjoy anything because you couldn't decide.

Wait for the prices to come down a lot....by then something new is just a handful of months away so you wait to see what it offers. Then you like what it offers, but not the price so you wait for the price to come down and by the time it does something else has come along so you wait to see how it performs.

But imagine how much money have you saved!!

Man, you guys just get raked over the coals with consumer electronic costs in Australia. Those prices are awful, but still better than the 4xxx series GPUs.

Price cut at my local Micro Center!
Was $699.99
Now $699.98
Save $0.01!

In fact, all the AMD 7xxx CPUs at my Micro Center, you can save $0.01! I'm so going out to buy one now.....wait, no I'm not. Still overpriced.
Yes but microcenter is giving you 32 gig of ddr5 ram kits clocked at 6ghs which is about $200 and $50 for motherboard combo which no one else is doing. That's still cheaper than any of these cuts.
Update also $10 for Samsung 980 pros combo.

AM5 motherboards are expensive. It is a hard pill to swallow for a lot of potential buyers. I want to replace my old i5-4670k, but its difficult to make a decision, what with prices being all over the place.

Wait for the prices to come down a lot....by then something new is just a handful of months away so you wait to see what it offers. Then you like what it offers, but not the price so you wait for the price to come down and by the time it does something else has come along so you wait to see how it performs. Pretty soon you're on your death bed and you've never purchased anything because you're always waiting for the next best deal or next best thing, you never got to enjoy anything because you couldn't decide.
Deathbed? This CPU launched literally a couple of months ago and it already dropped in price. What are you even on about?

I think alot of consideration
Ddr5
New motherboard
Ryzen 5000 still ok
Wattage
Heat
Bad economy

Thats why demand is low

Hit the nail on the head there. I'd also add the fact that the motherboards are still priced very high, even the B650s. And it's currently very difficult to choose a GPU to go with it - currently only very high end or last gen, and it doesn't make as much sense to pair a next gen CPU with last gen GPU. The chipmakers and AIBs seem to have missed the memo about the pandemic and mining boom being over. They priced their next gen stuff way off what the current market can bear.

I'm watching closely in Europe as I intend to upgrade. Next gen prices are literally falling in real time - CPUs, GPUs, memory, motherboards, the lot. They're still far too high though, I think there's more to come, particularly in the motherboard and GPU space. Those 4080s in particular look like they're in a lot of trouble.

The 7950X is down to £600 in the UK. That's actually pretty good considering the performance you get.
Just a shame the motherboards are over half as much again or even more expensive than the damn CPU.

It appears that throughout the computer industry the makers and sellers are finally feeling the pinch and will be forced to make many concessions in order to attract buyers. Hopefully they will learn that "some money is better than no money" and adjust accordingly. I would only recommend to buyers that they hold off longer until the prices get to what we want, not just what we are willing to pay. In the end, the buyer really controls the market. No seller or maker has ever survived a "no sale" marketplace ......

Looking at the list prices I said before launch these parts were a tad too high, especially if the intel rivals ended up as fast or slightly faster. That has proven to be the case and so the discounts were expected.

However it is the 3D cache versions that I feel a lot of people are waiting for as gamers. All the benchmarks of these new parts reviews have posted showed that the 5800X3D is a major problem. It usually matches or beats these newer parts in games and of course it is far cheaper to build into a new system. AMD are providing their strongest competition in that segment.

I think that performance bodes well for 3D cache versions perhaps early next year. It is likely the 8 core and (hopefully) a 6 core with extra cache will be devastating gaming processors for years to come. Better and cheaper board selection by then, cheaper DDR5, glut of cheap SSDs. Ok the economic situation is not great in many regions and that will continue but I see the market heating up a lot more early 2023.

AMD cut the prices for CPU's, good for them. Now bring back $100-150 B650 boards and maybe we can talk about upgrading to AM5.

Back