Dell Dimension 4600c no sound device installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruefus

Ok so I have a Dell Dimension 4600c and I had to format and re-install Windows XP home Edition. I did so with the disks provided by Dell. When I had finished this the video card and sound device were malfunctioning. I had to use another disk provided by Dell to reinstall the video driver and now that works, but when I tried to reistall the sound driver I keep getting a error message that says I have no sound device installed. As far as I know the sound card is integrated into the motherboard. I opened the computer to upgrade the ram and saw only 1 open slot but I believe its for a video card upgrade, its a brown plastic slot. There are no other open slots that I can see. Everytime I try to use something with sound I get an error messsage saying that I have no sound device installed. Can someone help me? Or should I take it to a tech? Thanks in advanced for the help!

Yes, the spec for the 4600c says there is an onboard sound card.

Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag. Check the Sound tab. Does it claim anything is installed? or say there is an error?

Also look in your BIOS settings. Look for any option about onboard sound and make sure it is Enabled.

I did that and it doesnt have anything. It just says "No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer."
how do I check the BIOS?

any other suggestions?

Please confirm that you have the latest driver for your Audio HERE
As the general download site list 3 possibilities for your onboard Sound, you could just run an automatic scan of your Hardware HERE

It just sounds like a driver issue
BTW did you confirm that Sound is enabled in Bios Settings? (as stated by LookinAround)

Pressing F2 at system startup (ie within 3 seconds when your computer first turns on)
If any settings are changed then save and Exit Bios settings (usually F10 key)
Then restart again

thx!!! the Bios thing allowed me to reinstall the audio driver and now my sound works!!! yeah!
thanks for the help!

IT WORKED!!!
Thx for all the help!
it was the bios setting and when I changed it I was able to reinstall the audio driver:)
thanks again!

Please confirm that you have the latest driver for your Audio
<snip>
It just sounds like a driver issue

Tip: Windows should always be able to detect Plug and Play h/w. Drivers are not required for PnP Hardware ID detection. (Hardware IDs are part of the PnP protocol and what "bootstraps" Windows finding devices and their drivers in the first place)

So if a PnP device isn't found in DevMgr (e.g. listed as "Other" device or with "driver error") it means (99.5%) of the time either
> BIOS
> Hardware problem
> Device not turned on

Hey, I think you've told me that before :rolleyes:
I just forgot, until you have now re-reminded me

Oh and that makes 17000 for me on the dot :D

Well.. if i only had a nickel for everything i forgot I'd have enough money to just pay someone else to remind me! :D

And I'm happy to be your 17K reply!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back