Dell Dimension E510 not powering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, So the computer got the blue screen of death, and i was planning on fixing that but when I wake up my sister has decided to open the side and dust the computer...So now when i connect the desktop to the monitor the computer first flashes orange the second i hit the power then turns green makes some beeps then runs normally or so it seems. The only problem is that the monitor isnt getting a feed and remains in powersave mode; also, the UsB ports dont seem to be working because the keyboard doesn't work or anything else to my knowledge... could my sister have unplugged anything? the numbers lit up on the front of the comp are 3 and 4

any help would be appreciated.. also there is power comming from the usb ports but nothing is working (keyboard) ,because when i plug in this light up mouse pad it works

Does the computer have a video card or just intgrated graphics?

First try removeing expansion cards one by one to see if they are causeing the problem. If there is more than one stick of memory do the same for that. check that all cards are properly seated and all drives are connected tightly. If you do have a graphics card that could be the issue. If not and the problem still occurs after all these steps the motherboard is likely bad. The problem is definately some kind of hardware issue since if it was a software problem there would still be an image on the screen during POST.

If she dusted it with compressed air rather than canned air with difluoroethane gas, it can produce static electricity that can destroy elements on the motherboard.
Also, whisking dust out will create static electricity which is deadly to a motherboard, or components on the motherboard... as can wiping out dust with a cloth when the dust is very try. We see about 60 damaged this way in our shops in Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico...
The greatest damage is caused by compressed air or air forced out by a compressor... static electricity can be very high... but I don't suppose she used that.

If any component on the system board is damaged by static electricity, you have to replace the system board... about $89 on eBay for that model.
Good luck in getting it fixed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back