Dell DW1506 wireless card driver for Vista

Hello,

Dell are only offering drivers for W7 and W8, but I have Vista 64bit Ultimate. Please can someone find a working driver for this OS? The driver that my driver detection software downloaded starts the wifi detector and it does find my wifi network, but it refuses to let me connect to it.

Hello, I will need the Dell model number (for the PC). Also did you downgrade from Win 7 to Vista?

Is the router in mixed mode (b/g/n) or g only or n only? MAC authentication on/off? What about security, WPA or WPA2 or something else?

My old work laptop Dell E6400 wasn't able to connect to my router, so I updated the driver, still didn't work. I then checked the connection software, Odyssey Access Client Manager. It only has WPA in the setting. I updated the software and new version can do WPA2. Problem solved.

I gave up on DW1506 after many hours of trying to get it to connect.
My system was a Dell Inspiron 660 Win/7 Ultimate 64bit.

Using a tool like inSSIDer, I could verify the router was present and very strong (-34 db). Clicking on the tray icon I could see several other stations,
and clicking on my SSID, I would not get access to the passphrase, but UNABLE TO CONNECT.

Updating the driver using the Dell/Support site gave me a newer driver but continued with the same symptom.

Bestbuy offered a good price on a Belkin N300 USB adaptor which resolved all problems. (be sure to DISABLE the 1506 before you install the N300).

Best wishes.

Thanks for all your replies!

It's a Dell Inspiron 660. It came with W7 and I reformatted the harddrive and installed Windows Vista 64Bit Ultimate.

I think the router is in mixed mode (b/g/n), but I'm not sure. I can't find anything about it in the router settings. The router is a Netgear N300 Wireless Gigabit Router, model WNR3500Lv2. It says "IEEE 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz" on the outside of the box it came in.
I also could not find anything about MAC authentication in the settings.

The security options available are:
1) WPA2-PSK [AES] (currently set to this)
2) WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

I'm very thankful for further assistance in solving this problem.

PS: I forgot to mention, I also have a Windows XP computer that I am trying to connect to this router, but it's having the exact same problem as the Vista computer. I am not 100% sure what the wireless card in it is called (but it does detect my wireless network, just isn't able to connect), however I just thought I'd mention the Vista computer is not the only computer having problems connecting.
On the other hand, I did have a laptop brought over (with Windows 7) and that connected like a charm, which proves the router is not malfunctioned (it does state on the box that it's compatible with W7, Vista and XP).
This was what lead me to believe that it's a driver issue and not a router setting (I've been thru alot of tweakings of the router settings together with Netgear support, to no avail).

Like I said - - I wasted a lot of time on that driver to no avail and concluded it was junk.
The Belkin N300 was only $39 and the job was done in 10 minutes!

I highly recommend you take the plunge and buy another adapter.

Back