Dell E1505 Freezes on disc insertion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have had a Dell E1505 for about 2 years. It has a persistent problem that I can't seem to solve. Often, but not always, it freezes when any kind of disc is inserted into the CD/DVD drive. There is no blue screen but the mouse cursor and everything comes to a complete stop. If there happens to be sound playing it will freeze on whatever tone is playing. The only way out is a hard re-boot. It is often, but not always, necessary to re-boot 3 or 4 times to get it going again. After that it may work for 3 or more disc insertions before doing it all over again. It doesn't usually freeze up unless a disc is inserted. (Well, no more than any Windows machine does anyway)

I've tried new firmware etc... with no change.

Thanks for your help!

I probably wasn't clear in the first post - this problem has continued since the computer was new. I contacted Dell but, as usual, they weren't very helpful.

The drive may have been defective from the start. Why didn't you get the system checked when it was under warranty?

I contacted Dell when I first got the computer but they weren't very helpful. I don't remember what they said was causing the problem, but it wasn't logical. It's always hard to get help with an intermittent problem. Also, I was getting ready to leave for an extended stay overseas (Africa) without communication and I needed the computer. I just got back to civilization so I'm trying to fix the problem myself.

Replacing the drive seems drastic when it works fine otherwise. I imagine I'm just stuck living with the problem.

Thanks anyway.

Optical drives aren't hard to replace and they are cheaper now too. There's no need to be afraid to replace it. Have you tried an operating system restore

You can reinstall Nero depending on what version... Stay away from Nero 7 and do not install anything but Nero Express itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back