Dell E510 power switch issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
The power switch on my Dell E510 hasn't worked for awhile now. Everytime I wanted to start it up, I would have to open it up, and use a paper clip to connect two wires together in the 24 pin connector. This would power up the psu (the fans would spin loud), and then I could press the power button to turn my computer on.(the fans would slow down and spin at a normal pace, this is how I knew it turned on. The monitor would also show start up screen). This worked fine for awhile.

The other day, I had it on when I left, and when I came back it was powered off. I tried to use the paper clip trick to get it started again, only this time the psu wouldn't even power on. Everything appeared to look normal and in place. I figure the psu is dead so I order a new one. I get it and install it, everything is hooked up to where it should be. When I use the paper clip, the psu powers up like it normally should, but when I click the power button on my cpu, nothing happens (the fans don't slow down, and the monitor shows no activity). My dvd drive will open and close, my processor turns on. The mobo light is green. All the cords are connected and nothing appears to be lose.

When I use the paper clip trick, when I first contact the wires, the lights on the front of my cpu light up for less than a second and then disappear. I checked the numbers with dell diagnostics and the combo isn't even listed.

Is this a mobo problem? Is there a way to jumpstart my cpu to actually turn on without using power button?

Any help would be appreciated.

You would have been much better off if you spent a few bucks and bought a momentarily closed mini-pushbutton switch, and mounted on the case front, using the original Dell switch wires. It is possible that the motherboard is now damaged from all the shorting over time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back