Dell Gx280 annoying noise and overheating

hi guys

This is my first threat which i am going to describe here because after a lot of putting my efforts on net to search for the problem as well as asking from hardware guys i got nothing. My problem is i have Dell Gx280 when i load games (Sigularity, COD 6 etc) it makes heavy noise which is unbearable to me. I Clean the CPU fan also heat sink but nothing happens. Hardware guy told me to add thermal compound this is because of overheating your CPU but when i add thermal Paste noise was gone and system become normal but now when i play any game after 5 to 10 minutes of smooth playing it slow down game to very poor situation which is not playable. i got furstated and remove the thermal paste from heat sink now i can play games fine but with heavy noise. i also use speed fan and other software to reduce fan speed but this is not appropriate solution because when i slow down the fan speed then i cant play games because of lagging also Task Manager shows near to 100% load when i load any game.

i request you guys to kindly give attention to my problem for which i will be so thankful. i love to play games but i cant.

Dell GX280 Specification
2.8 Mhz
1 GB DDR2 800 Mhz
9500 GT 512 MB
500 GB SATA

Localize the source does it make high pitch sound when u switch from 2d to 3d Some card have hard problems dealing with this,

Otherwise i would suspect dying harddrive or very cheap PSU

Thanks for making replay, i Just purchase new HDD and its under warranty. i know its not hard drive problem but i m not sure about PSU. kindly tell me weather to change the PSU.

i got furstated and remove the thermal paste from heat sink...
This is why it is overheating. No thermal compound. Your PC is trying to protect itself from destruction by slowing down.

by applying thermal compound it normalize the fan speed but also games start lagging not playable state. what component should i replace.

...but also games start lagging not playable state.
You said you slowed down the fan speed then it started lagging. Slowing down the fan speed allows the CPU to overheat and causes your games to lag. If you feel the fan noise is too loud, you could replace the fan with a quieter fan. Because you have a Dell the fan and heatsink configuration may restrict your choices. As for the exact fan to get, you'll have to match it to the existing fan.

GX280's are well known for capacitor overheating problems on the mainboard - It could actually be a fault which requires a replacement motherboard.

They aren't the fastest of PC's so its understandable that its pushing the CPU....

GX270 are more common for cap failure.
We had one GX280 tower unit that used to run the fan at full blast all the time. No amount of heatsink swaps, thermal paste cleans/re-adds would fix it. We just scrapped it.

Not sure if one of the caps had dried out causing the fan controller to go nuts, whether the fan had a sensor fault or whether there was some other issue.

If money is tight I'd suggest getting another LGA775, DDR2 compatible motherboard case, motherboard, heatsink & fan and swapping your components over. The PSU is standard ATX form factor and pinout.
Early LGA775 boards are becoming redundant as they can't be upgraded higher than Pentium Ds (not to be confused with Pendium Dual Cores).

Back