Dell Inspirion 1100 rained on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dell inspirion 1100 that got rained on, and i mean really rained on. It was on, open and plugged in when it happened. When I found it it was off. I immediately unplugged it and turned it upside down, while still open, onto a towel and left it. It does absolutly nothing, no lights or anything. Is there any hope for it? Someone said it's probably a fuse?

How long has it been since the rain incident? If it is completely dry and still not working then my guess would be the motherboard shorted.

It was rained on thurs.(Today is Sat.) The reason the guy thought it might be a fuse is because the power had gone out for a minute and came back on. He thought maybe it experianced a power surge, and blew a fuse.

Be absolutely sure it is totally dry before you try anthing. Take off the keyboard. The screws are on the bottom. Remove the hard drive, optical drive, and battery. Disassemble everything you can. Remove the CMOS battery. It is wired in, under the keyboard. And be sure the memory is removed and put someplace to dry.

Then clean with a 50% solution of Isopropyl 91% alcohol to clean everything. Use very soft fibre free towels. Wal-Mart and others have them. The alcohol, being hygroscopic, will help remove the moisture.

Then

Dry it upside down in an area where there is good air flow for two weeks.

Don't use a blower or a hair dryer as they introduce dangerous static electricity, but a room fan will be helpful if not too close.

We have saved a lot of laptops that have had coffee and cola spilled in them. The worst damage is done when the computer is turned back on. Since yours was flooded, it may be too late.

The secret is to be sure it is totally dry. Then replace every thing and turn it on.

You may have a chance. You may have to replace some parts. It might be easier to replace the motherboard if it doesn't start up. They are around $80 on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back