Dell Inspiron 1000 starting problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all hope someone can help.

I got hold of a dell inspiron 1000 laptop from my friend that is in an good working condition. The story goes. At first I formated it using the recovery partition on the hidden partition. Managed that ok. Moving on, I decided to install my own custom windows installation. Managed that with no problems. Got to downloading and installing Windows Updates and went to shut the laptop down but it asked me "Did I want to install the updates first, and then shutdown" so I said yes and went out. When I come back about an hour later the laptop was turned off obviously as I'd expected but it wont turn on now.

When I go to turn it on from the power button it goes to start up. Nothing on the screen or anything though. And then it seems to make a quick spin down noise. The only way to try turning it back on then is to remove the battery for a few seconds and try again but it just keeps doing the same thing.

I don't think it's the hard drive because it was working fine before the updates and I put my other laptop hdd in it and it still does the same thing.

I'm thinking it might be the battery. Maybe it has died completely? Should I buy a new battery to find out? Is it worth spending the money on such a thing for an old laptop like this? Although it's still not bad and is running quite fast with the custom windows install it's running. Just a pre-tweaked copy with no useless bells n whistles. But I'm thinking it might be that.

I've searched Google for other "dell inspiron 1000 wont start" results and not found anything like this. I am really hoping someone might be able to offer some assistance.

What could be the reason for it doing this? It was a good working laptop before M$ put there updates on it! :(

Sorry misread it completely.

Edit:
Ray's comment seems plausible, also there may be something with motherboard as well. When you turn it on, do you hear any beep(s) ?

Typical behavior of a failed hard drive in that Dell Inspiron. Can you borrow another hard drive to test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back