TechSpot

Dell Inspiron 1501 screen problem

By crazydog
Sep 14, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all,

I received a trojan horse dropper bravix B and had to reformat the hard drive. I used the OS disc and the drivers disc provided. I loaded the drivers in the sequence advised by dell. Following this the machine did not work properly so i downloaded the drivers using the computer tag. this included a BIOS update. All now appears ok except the screen. The screen appears to have gone to wide screen ( the bbc web site used to have to blank strips either side and now it is on the whole screen distorting the picture.)

The screen I have is a 15.4" wide screen XGA TFT with truelife 1280X800

When i go into display properties on the control pannel this is what I see

SETTINGS
    Screen resolution (I am unable to adjust this other than to either min 800x600 or max 1024x768. There is no middle adjustment like on my wife's laptop.
    ADVANCED
    General- Normal size (96 DPI)
    Adaptor- Information
    Chip type, DAC Type, Mem Size, Adaptor string, DIOS info (all have unavailable next to them)
    PROPERTIES- General tab
    VgaSave
    Device Type-Non plug and play drivers
    Manufaturer- unknown
    Location- unknown
    The device is working properly
    Drivers tab
    Service name- VgaSave
    Display name- VgaSave
    Status- Stated
    Startup- System
    Resourse tab-Resourse settings
    I/O Range 03B0-03BB
    I/O Range 03E0-03DF
    Memory- 000A000B-000BFFFF
    (all these 3 under resourse appear to have a "No entry sign to the left)

Conflicting device list
    Include all listed in the resourse settings above with "used by PCI to PCI bridge" written next to them

MONITOR
    Monitor type- Default monitor
    Screen refresh rate- Use Hardware default settings
    TROUBLESHOOT
    Hardware acceleration set on full

I hope that with this info that you can assist me in putting things with my screen back as it was

Thanking you in anticipation

Bob

No worries I have fixed it. I went into device manager and there was one that was not working. I used the widows to search for a compatible one. and it fixed it

Regards

Bab
  2. pdv

pdv TS Rookie

Okay, I'm new to this forum and only moderately computer literate. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 that I had to completely reformat after a failed Vista update completely shut down my computer. After a good friend help me get my stuff using DOS, we had to completely reinstall with the CDs that came with the computer. Now when I view something like a video the screen will either go black or look like wallpaper and not come back on. I have to completely shut down and then turn it back on. Can anyone help me with this problem? I have updated the graphics driver.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.