TechSpot

Dell Inspiron 1501 won't charge

By gamerguy53
Apr 15, 2009
  1. My dell inspiron 1501 laptop is a bit over 2 years old. My 1st power adapter broke after about 2 years. I bought another one ( a dell one on ebay) which broke after a month. I am now using a 3rd party one. It worked fine for a few weeks, but now the battery won't charge, the laptop will only run on AC power. I get an error message during boot up saying the Ac adapter type can't be determined and that the battery will not charge and I will not get optimal performance. I am running winXP home, and I also have ubuntu 8.10 installed as a dual boot. Any help resolving my issue will be greatly appreciated.

2. lamo

lamo TS Rookie Posts: 570

99% cases of "unknown AC adapter" issues are connected with wrong or broken PSU. 1% is max8731 faulty(i repaired 2 laptops with this warning, and the problem was with faulty PWM-charger).

3. gamerguy53

gamerguy53 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 46

Thanks ill look into the warranty on my AC adapter

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.