Dell Inspiron 1520 Hard Drive Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I have a dell inspiron 1520 that is reasonably new and installed with windows vista! Today i went to reinstall windows vista and deleted the main partition of the hard disk and now it wont install says i need the drivers for the hard drive but i cannot find them anywhere theyre not on the drivers and utilties cd! im really stuck can anyone HELP PLEASE!!!
THank you!
Sam

By reasonably new, does that mean sometime last or this year?

You said you can't find drivers for the hard drive, is this in our outside of windows?

I got a two ideas for you, one and the easiest method, is that if your laptop came with the windows vista, they have something called the Dell Recovery CD or disk, something similar to that. Boot the computer from this cd and it should re-install your computer just fine.

two that your hard drive is a SATA hard disk and maybe your sata controller is not specified in the vista cd. A way around this is by specificying to windows that you want to add additional drivers before the installation. Its most likely that your system is running on an intel chipset board so grab the sata drivers here:
http://www.station-drivers.com/tele...tel_msm_8.0.0.39(www.station-drivers.com).exe

You can try extracting them into a USB device and specifying windows to grab the drivers from this directory

I know you can do this in windows XP install though i'm not sure with vista and i always thought that vista came with the latest sata drivers.

Tell me how it goes and i'll see if i can help you any further.

HaMsTeYr said:
By reasonably new, does that mean sometime last or this year?

You said you can't find drivers for the hard drive, is this in our outside of windows?

I got a two ideas for you, one and the easiest method, is that if your laptop came with the windows vista, they have something called the Dell Recovery CD or disk, something similar to that. Boot the computer from this cd and it should re-install your computer just fine.

two that your hard drive is a SATA hard disk and maybe your sata controller is not specified in the vista cd. A way around this is by specificying to windows that you want to add additional drivers before the installation. Its most likely that your system is running on board an intel chipset so grab the sata drivers here:

You can try extracting them into a USB device and specifying windows to grab the drivers from this directory

I know you can do this in windows XP install though i'm not sure with vista and i always thought that vista came with the latest sata drivers.

Tell me how it goes and i'll see if i can help you any further.

HI
Yeh bought it end of last year. And i cant find the drivers outside of windows as im no longer able to get into windows at all! when i boot the computer i get a window sayin BOOTMGR is missing press ctrl alt del to restart!
When i try to install vista from the cd it says that "Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error Code: 0x8007045D" which i presume means the driver is missing as later on it asks me to load the driver! is very frustrating!
Don't seem to have the dell recovery cd just a drivers and utilities cd and a windows vista cd!!! WiIl try the drivers!
cheers for your help!

kimsland said:
You can turn off AHCI (in CMOS) before the install. Then after Vista is installed you can turn it back on and install the SATA drivers for Vista (from your

HI have had a look and wasnt on AHCI so i tried turning it on to AHCI and that didn't work either! WIll look on the dell support cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back