TechSpot

Dell Inspiron 1525

By JagX22
Aug 4, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi All,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 that has completely died. I'm not sure what happened to it exactly, as there is not evidence of a drop or a spill, but there are no signs of life whatsoever. I took the battery out, and plugged in the adapter. I know the adapter works fine as the little green light comes on when it's plugged in, and I tried it in another laptop in which it worked. When I hit the power button nothing happens. No lights turn on, or flash, no sounds are made...nothing. It's lifeless. I was thinking about just hitting eBay and ordering a new motherboard, but does anyone know if this is the right thing to do? I don't have the $100 bucks to throw down without being certain so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

That is a model with a history of many complete failures... How old is it?

3. sevyanfellow

sevyanfellow TS Rookie

i think one solution for this you go for new one

4. JagX22

JagX22 TS Rookie Topic Starter

This one is just over a year old. I figured it would be worth the risk before buying a new one, but I want to be sure I am making the right decision. Does it sound like it could be the motherboard?

5. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +181

Are you sure the battery is charged? Sometimes the problem is in the power plug port. Internal soldering breaks so no power via A/C cord reaches the m/b. So make sure the batter is charged (do you know someone else's computer you can charge the battery with?) and see if still same problem or not to first rule-out power port problem

6. JagX22

Yeah, it's not the battery. I have another spare Dell laptop and have tried interchanging the batteries. I still have yet to try removing the wi-fi, ram and hard drive before booting it though. That is something i have to try.

7. Craig789

Craig789 TS Rookie

Hi JAG,

Please post an update. Did you solve your problem? I have the same problem on my 2.5 year old Inspiron 1525 (power cord shows 19.5 volts but computer won't even light a single light).

Thanks.

8. JagX22

I haven't yet. I have to order the parts on eBay and then replace them. I am about 90% sure it's the motherboard though. So when I try it out i'll let you know.

9. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +181

@Craig

If the AC/DC adpater is plugged in yet no lights appear and it the laptop appears dead the most common cause is either
    > The DC power port is bad and/or
    > It's soldering to the m/b is broken so there's no electrical connectivity to carry the current

You can prove your computer still works fine if you can borrow a compatible (and charged!) laptop battery and see your computer boot up

for more info google something like ac dc power port jack repair

10. JagX22

I tried a charged laptop battery in mine, it still didn't work. I am waiting on the parts from eBay still though :-(

11. CAMusing

CAMusing TS Enthusiast Posts: 179