Dell Inspiron 1545 won't connect to Internet

Hello there my wife Dell Inspiron 1545 w/ Windows 7, laptop just stopped connecting to the internet. Last Sunday it was working fine then the following Monday she could not connect to the internet. I had tried all that I could think of and even call Belkin for help. Nothing was wrong with the router so they couldn't help me with the problem. I did a troubleshoot and the laptop gives the following problem. [The Diagnostics Policy Service is not running.] I have no idea in what that is and is hoping that someone can tell me. It do says that it have "Limited connection." Would appreciate it if someone could help to our problem.

Be sure to test your connection with another computer first, to rule out cable modem and other hard ware issues.
The Inspiron 1545 does not have a bad record of failure with the ethernet port... but this one could be gone, and might be difficult to fix at your desk without the ability to connect.
You might want to go to the Dell site with another computer and download and save all the driver updates for that Dell Product ID, download and reinstall them via a usb drive or CD... as a early test.
If the Dell is still under warranty, Dell will send somebody to your home or shop for diagnostics... otherwise, you can short cut wasted time by finding a qualified or experienced tech to run a few tests.
Ethernet ports do burn out, randomly, on a number of system boards, though the expected failure rate is very low. We have never seen a failure on the 1545's we see in our shops. Yours may be a goner that only a motherboard repair or replacement will fix...
Good luck. Please let us know the final diagnosis and fix.

We have another laptop and desktop that is able to connect with any problem. I have tried to connect it directly into the router with the ethernet cable and still will not connect. I have also when on the Dell site to download the wireless driver and reinstalled it. We have had the Dell for about two years and recently had to replace the harddrive. That have been a year ago so that shouldn't have anything to do with it should it? Well if no one else have any suggestion then i guess that we have no choose but to take it to an expert to fix it.
Thank you for your help.

Expect to replace the motherboard. Cost to our shop is $89... but the labor will get you.
Might be time to get a new one on the Christmas sales.

Why would I have to change the motherboard? I can do all the things that I normally can except for getting on the internet. If that is the solution then it is time to get another laptop because it seems to break down a lot. So thank you again for your help.

Because if the ethernet connection fails and cannot be restored, there is not a simple, inexpensive way to install a new internet connection. Replacing the motherboard restores the ability to connect.
True, getting a new laptop is a better, though more expensive, choice... and that is what I would recommend to most users. You never know when the replacement motherboard might have the same issues as the failed one..

You think a wireless ethernet adapter is going to connect the Dell laptop to the printer ? This might require a little explanation on "how to"

I didn't see anything about connecting to a printer in the post. He says he wants to connect to the internet. I did this just the other day. Bought a linksys AE1000. Plugged it in, installed the drivers and had instant access.

That is not a bad idea skipro_98. It would be alot cheaper then to buy another laptop or pay for a expensive repair bill. Christmas just came and the funds are to low to get another laptop at it time so thank you for the great idea. Also thanks again raybay for your help, you guys the best.

Back