Dell Inspiron 640m won't boot

I have a Dell Inspiron 640m that crashed the other day. The blue screen had _IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error code. At the time I didn't have time to figure out what was wrong so I shut it down and returned a few hours later to run diagnostics. However when I tried to boot it up, it wouldn't load past the Dell loading screen and I couldn't access diagnostics. I turned off and tried it again and now it won't boot anything. All I have is a black screen. The CD drive and fan will click on for a second and then immediately turn off. I tried running the reinstallation disk but nothing but black screen. Someone told me to try taking the battery out and reseating it so I did that this morning and now it is still not booting up (black screen) and I have a new problem. This time the fan and power light came on when I tried to start it but when I tried to shut it down I can't get it to shut off. Holding the power button does not work. The fan has been running for about 3 hours today with no signs of stopping. I unplugged it thinking the battery would die and at least shut the fan off but the battery should have died by now and it is still running. I don't want to do any further damage (if that's possible at this stage) so can someone help!

Some background information on this computer: This is the 4th time this year that it has crashed. The last time the tech installed a brand new hard drive. That was about 5 mo ago and it has been running fine until the other day. I have already put a ton of money into it and don't really want to invest anymore in a lost cause. Should I just give up and plan on buying a new laptop or can this one be saved? Thanks!

Remove the hard drive and see if the laptop will start up normally to the point of hard drive detection. If it does, the hard drive is bad, once again

Back