Dell Inspiron E1405 Restarting Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

This is my first post here, and I am really at a loss with my laptop problem. I have searched far and wide for the solution but have so far come up empty. I have a Dell Inspiron E1405, and am running Windows XP SP2. My problem is the system continually restarts without warning, even after disabling automatic restarts in XP. The computer works completely fine in safe mode however. While in safe mode no virus/spyware checks turn up anything.

I tried System Restore with no luck, and even completely reinstalling Windows did not solve the problem (seems to have actually made it restart more frequently after the reinstall). Dell's diagnostic checks also do not turn up any problems. Yet again, safe mode still works perfectly fine.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you,

If Safe Mode is okay I would guess that there is some form of driver/resource conflict or, there is some form of hardware in the early stages of failure. Remove any devices that you can from the system and try booting then.

I assume you haven't been getting any blue screen errors eh?

Is the system within warranty?

Yeah no blue screens are showing, just a complete restart and Windows boots itself back up again.

To my knowledge the system is not within its warranty, but I am not the original owner of the laptop, so I really can't say for sure. I received the laptop over a year and a half ago.

Reboots are common with Service Pack 3 installed.
Reboots are common if there is dirt and hair in the cpu or cpu fan.
Reboots are common if inadequate memory... such as below 512 MB.
Reboots are common when any hardware error is detected.
Could also be memory error. Run Memtest86 for four hours or 7 passes, which ever is longer.
That laptop is old enough to have hard drive failures. Run the drive fitness test from the website of the hard drive manufacturer.

raybay, ... and reboots are common, if user can't detect BSOD. he should disable automatic restart if system fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back