Dell Inspiron E1505 (Silver) keeps going to black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
well for some reason when my son starts his laptop-we see the dell logo then windows starts with the scrolly thing under it but then it goes black and we can see the mouse arrow and can move it but nothing.
I have tried safe mode but just shows safe mode in the bottom corners and nothing happens...and suggestions please!

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely

Kel

Typical of a failed hard drive... or a damaged video cable. What is service tag, and age of comp;uter.

Hmm not sure the year- and not sure what "tag" you mean-I bought it from someone not even a year ago-I can tell you whats all in it..
Dell Inspiron E1505 (Silver)
Intel Centrino Duo Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz
80G HD
2GB Ram
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
4 USB ports
NEC DVD+-RW Drive
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Ricoh xD-Picture Card Host Controller
Liquid Crystal Display 15.4 Widescreen
Battery, Primary, 13.2V, 6C Lithium

There is, or should be, a service tag number of six to nine digits on a sticker on the bottom of the computer. That number gives us the opportunity to examine it as it was when sold new.

I would run memtest86 on each memory module for four hours or seven passes... which is helpufl in ruling out problem areas.

Have you taken a look at your Device Manager in Start->System->Hardware to see if there are any red, yellow, or black flags.

You might benefit from cold booting to your Dell windows disk, and then running a test in R for Repair (not R for Recovery console.).

This will enable Windows to remove all existing install sections, and replace them without damaging any other part of the install setup (good to make a backup though)
This will take an hour or two, but will fix a lot of things and help you to rule out a lot of guesses as to what may be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back