Dell Inspiron keyboard replacement

By tryingdad
Jul 30, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I tried to replace the keyboard on my sons Dell Inspiron and the black flip tab/clamp that holds the ribbon wire to the motherboard broke. Any ideas on where to find a replacement or how to connect it securely another way? I really don't want to buy a new motherboard and Dell doesn't offer the part by itself. Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

Common trouble... I have purchased a non-working laptop just for these clips. Now I have spare motherboards that I can salvage these parts from. There's really no other way to fix this
  3. tryingdad

tryingdad TS Rookie Topic Starter

That's what I was afraid of. Would you be willing to sell me one of your spares?
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

Can you post a picture of the broken part and the connector? It may be possible to fit the broken "lock" in place along with the keyboard flat cable and carefully put a drop of super glue on the connector to hold it in place
  5. tryingdad

tryingdad TS Rookie Topic Starter

I've thought of that and tried to place the tab on top of the ribbon wire. When I placed it there and tried several of the keys they didn't work. I don't think I'm getting a consistent pressure across the entire ribbon wire contacts. I'll send the picture if you still need it. Also, the black tab was broken and I super glued it as straight as I could but that too may be a part of the problem. Thank you for your time and advice.