TechSpot

Dell intros 'future proof' Core i5/i7-equipped Vostro 430

By Matthew
Oct 1, 2009
  1. Dell has expanded its Vostro line with the Vostro 430 mini tower desktop, which boasts a "future proof" design. Aimed at small and medium businesses, the Vostro 430 ships with video conferencing software pre-installed and features Intel's Core i5 or Core i7 processor, discrete graphics from Nvidia or ATI, up to 16GB of DDR3 RAM and 1TB of storage.

Read the whole story

2. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 957   +116

Impossible nothing can be 'future proof' unless Dell has mastered time travel and secretly knows what the future has in store for PCs. Its witch craft I tell you, Witch Craft!

3. I agree. Dell doesn't have any reason to call it future proof. 2 years from now we'll see it as low end computing. It's all a marketing hype, which is funny in the eyes of tech geeks. Only thing I think when someone says "Future Proof" is all the crap it will receive from bloggers and forum posters. *Giggle*

4. bigpygme

bigpygme TS Rookie

okay, "future proof" is silly, but it does a good job of being pretty cutting edge - contemporary. at least for a mass produced machine. i7's are pretty new as these things go, and won't be out of date for some time yet. frankly for price and performance these are the first dell's i've been interested in, ever ...

5. Yeah did anyone follow the link? The $699 model is a basic barebones system. Utter crap is what it is. I can build something better for less. And who sells a Vista machine with 1 GB Ram? Shame on Dell!

6. "FUTURE PROOF" zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I guess if you buy it, Dell would be the one who is future proof with all your money. ta ta. dont be losers. if you want future build, built your own pc because youre the one who can say what is future proof for you.

7. Must be future proof like the Titanic: as long as there are no major 'icebergs' (e.g. core i9) on the way... :/

8. I'm pretty interested in what the problem is with you guys. Do you want to be on the first row for a nickle and a dime? Buy an Acer. It's just a header that says 'future proof', maybe not even put there by Dell. Try to configure your own systems with the competition. And the Vostro line is the SMB system with the best pricepoint.

9. Hmm, future proof....probably not. I think that it is already obsolete since I didn't see or notice USB3 anywhere in the specs. Nice marketing trick though. I'm sure some will bite.

10. Ahh, marketing... Future proof, riiiight. Putting a 699$ bare bone base model could work for oblivious individuals, but come on, this is aimed at businesses. It's a total joke to offer such a low based model, they really shouldn't be selling anything under 4gb of ram and decent graphic card. This has become the stardard even in the low-end computers and laptops. Hmpf.

11. Kcircyrd

Kcircyrd TS Rookie Posts: 316

We will look back on these new products in two or three years, and laff.

12. greyd

greyd TS Rookie

I never buy computers pre - packaged anyway. nice try Dell, from the processor to the RAM to the HDD to the Case to the MB to the rest I buy in pieces.

13. bigpygme

bigpygme TS Rookie

"The $699 model is a basic barebones system. Utter crap is what it is. I can build something better for less. And who sells a Vista machine with 1 GB Ram? Shame on Dell! "
    " they really shouldn't be selling anything under 4gb of ram and decent graphic card. This has become the stardard even in the low-end computers and laptops. Hmpf. "
    i agree with these and had not looked at the machine when i made my more favorable comment above ... i went back and configured one and for a machine i'd want to build i came out at about $1300, which i could certainly do cheaper. but DIY is always chaeper. (it would've been a pretty good $1300 retail machine ... )

14. jboryczka

jboryczka TS Rookie

The Vostro 430 wouldn't let me select a 64bit OS.... I guess your computer is 'Futureproof' when the software is obsolete at day 1.

15. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 632

Yeah, 16GB of RAM is future proof... get back to me on that in 2020.

16. I'm pretty sure that small business owners aren't interested in building computers for themselves or their employees, and likely won't equip them to the hilt. The 'enthusiast' reaction here to a machine that is decidedly geared towards enterprise use is rather funny.

17. Nitroburner77

Nitroburner77 TS Rookie

Enterprise workers will want to play the new <insert hardware intensive new unreleased game here> too

18. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

it doesn't take time for technology to get outdated!

19. Trust me. Dell computers are never future proof. I have an old Dell Dimensions 2400 sitting in my basement. Dell purposely build their computers to make sure that you cannot upgrade much of anything. They want you to buy another computer in another couple of years. That's their business model. I recently built my Intel Quad 9300 computer before the i7's out. I could not be happier. If I knew that putting together a computer was that easy, I would have done it a long time ago. I was getting tired of paying Dell every few years for a new computer because their computers are pretty much not really upgradable. Dell MOBO's are not standard sizes apparently.

20. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,697   +338

21. BlindObject

BlindObject TS Rookie Posts: 446

Dell? Future Proof? LOL! I believe nothing is future proof.

22. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Maniac Posts: 482   +8

haha yes thank you! I was going to link to that if no one else did. I have always been curious how the $99 upgrade every two years worked out.

23. oh for gods sake dell is a dell low end crap for people that dont know any better.
    awful just awful.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.