Dell intros S Series monitors with edge-to-edge glass, IPS panels

By Jos
Sep 24, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Dell has introduced as many as five new monitors as part of its 2013 S-series. Available in 27-, 24-, 23- and 21.5-inch sizes, the monitors represent a more affordable alternative to the company's UltraSharp family, with prices ranging between $200...

Read more
  2. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 869   +129

The prices are good, but I prefer 16:10 and I wish the 27" had a higher res.
  3. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

If they could get rid of the 1/2 bezel that would be cool
  4. ElShotte

ElShotte TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 163

What's edge to edge glass?
  5. cookiedude

cookiedude TechSpot Booster Posts: 230

It means they have a glass panel across the entire front of the display. Makes for a sleeker looking design but doesn't add much beyond that. I'd be interested to see what reflections are like on these, and think they've scrimped on the resolution... no good having a large display with a low res IMO!
  6. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,045   +37

Yea... I dont see the point in edge to edge glass really, unless they were to make the bezel at least 1/8 of an inch or less. Two 1/2 in bezels is obviously an inch, and that's not really much less than I have already.

I really could care less about the edge to edge glass....
  7. Well edge to edge is very very useful when you clean your screen I have normal monitor and its pain in the *** to get all the dust out of corners that's why my monitor usually fully covered in dust !!!
  8. likedamaster

likedamaster TechSpot Member Posts: 81   +12

Yeah, keep trying Dell you'll get there.
  9. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 552   +79

Not that I am in need of a new monitor but that was quite the let down.

16:9 27' 1080p is just gross!

Also agreed with everyone else after the title I was expecting a tiny *** bezel.
  10. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,145   +172

A little disappointed in response time too. They have other IPS panels with 5ms grey to grey.
  11. Experimentongod

Experimentongod Newcomer, in training Posts: 69   +15

What a terrible new lineup of monitors:

1. The 23" and 24" don't have DVI
    2. The ones that have DVI sport way too small/big pixel pitch (0.248 mm on 21.5" and 0.311 (!) mm on 27")
    3. No 16:10 AR option

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.