TechSpot

Dell intros S Series monitors with edge-to-edge glass, IPS panels

By Jos
Sep 24, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Dell has introduced as many as five new monitors as part of its 2013 S-series. Available in 27-, 24-, 23- and 21.5-inch sizes, the monitors represent a more affordable alternative to the company's UltraSharp family, with prices ranging between $200...

Read more

2. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 945   +191

The prices are good, but I prefer 16:10 and I wish the 27" had a higher res.

3. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TS Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

If they could get rid of the 1/2 bezel that would be cool

4. ElShotte

ElShotte TS Enthusiast Posts: 162

What's edge to edge glass?

5. cookiedude

cookiedude TS Booster Posts: 157

It means they have a glass panel across the entire front of the display. Makes for a sleeker looking design but doesn't add much beyond that. I'd be interested to see what reflections are like on these, and think they've scrimped on the resolution... no good having a large display with a low res IMO!

6. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,186   +84

Yea... I dont see the point in edge to edge glass really, unless they were to make the bezel at least 1/8 of an inch or less. Two 1/2 in bezels is obviously an inch, and that's not really much less than I have already.

I really could care less about the edge to edge glass....

7. Well edge to edge is very very useful when you clean your screen I have normal monitor and its pain in the *** to get all the dust out of corners that's why my monitor usually fully covered in dust !!!

8. likedamaster

likedamaster TS Enthusiast Posts: 85   +12

Yeah, keep trying Dell you'll get there.

9. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,037   +310

Not that I am in need of a new monitor but that was quite the let down.

16:9 27' 1080p is just gross!

Also agreed with everyone else after the title I was expecting a tiny *** bezel.

10. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,552   +352

A little disappointed in response time too. They have other IPS panels with 5ms grey to grey.

11. Experimentongod

Experimentongod TS Addict Posts: 199   +79

What a terrible new lineup of monitors:

1. The 23" and 24" don't have DVI
    2. The ones that have DVI sport way too small/big pixel pitch (0.248 mm on 21.5" and 0.311 (!) mm on 27")
    3. No 16:10 AR option