TechSpot

Dell: it's easier to develop for Windows Phone 7 than Android

By Emil
Nov 4, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Dell CEO Michael Dell recently spoke at an event in Hong Kong and declared that it was easier to develop for Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 than it was for Google's Android platform. That's great news for Microsoft, given how important it will be for the company to build developer interest if the software giant's platform is going to successfully take on Apple and Google with a completely new platform.

Read the whole story

2. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,100   +111

it's true that there are problems with updates for android. it takes a lot of time for different phones to receive an update.

3. TwiztidSef

TwiztidSef TS Rookie Posts: 49

The way i see this article is that not everyone can code at the same speed in every system. I can see someone with java experience preferring android over the win 7 phone. It really depends on the programmers experience and background. I actually can't really see why Dell announced this at all.

I am basically a noob in whatever programing language I try. Closest i got to being actually good at coding was with visual basic.

4. Emil

Emil TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 154

Then Windows Phone is for you.

5. customcarvin

customcarvin TS Enthusiast Posts: 103   +8

Like twiztidsef basically said, it depends on the programmer and the environment in which he/she is coding. This is actually a pretty stooped thing for Dell to say; really though, how many applications have they developed for Android? Get back in your hole Dell, and stick to building computers, shut up about programing, in which you have little experience besides... well, crappy windows bloatware that you always put on your builds...

6. bioflex

bioflex TS Rookie Posts: 70

anything windows would of course be easier to work with, i mean its been like that since way back and i dont think windows phone 7 is going to be an exception.

7. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 894   +133

Although Dell isn't particularly known for its software, I'm sure there are a slew of good programmers at the company who are well versed (or who specialize) in different languages.

8. Windows .net libraries completely blow away the Android libraries. It's not even close. Of course, you can still do anything with Android or any platform if you have the time, but Microsoft is still king of the hill when it comes to rapid application development.

9. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Hmm. I was thinking of waiting for the iphone 5 or android but maybe I'll jump ship if win7 gets some kickass hardware.

10. akannitaoheed

akannitaoheed TS Rookie Posts: 99

I some kind of have my own issues with android too. Sure will get a way around them. Still working on understanding how it all works.

11. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,443   +124

Well... WP7 to run needs a specific hardware, that is why WM6.5 wont upgrade to WP7, because of hardware limitations.

12. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 958   +22

The only problem with .net on windows is that it is so bloated when compared to techniques such as java, etc. For example, the swedish program AdAware uses visual c++ runtime libraries, and a single weekly update can take an hour on a computer built as recently as 2005. Enabling AdAware's runtime protection can make such a computer almost unusable. Computer speeds remain at about 3Ghz and are not getting any faster. These programs don't optimize the code in any way to make it multithreaded. I wrote a 3 line visual c++ notification area program in 2005 using visual studio and it took up 100M of memory. Multitasking, bah. My 2007 laptop cannot do 3 minorly cpu or i/o intensive tasks silmultaneousely without screeching to a halt. With this bloated software, computers are lucky to do ONE THING at a time.

13. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 994   +89

Wait, Dell develops software now?

14. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

@9Nails
    Almost every big hardware company do have software developers employed; they need to refine their offerings according to the needs of that specific segment of a market they are targeting, so there is nothing surprising in this.

@princeton
    Samsung showed their AMOLED screen WP7 offering and it is .......... brilliant; the hardware is on par with their Android offering, and much better than the iphone. Having said that, despite the significant improvements in interface and performance, this OS is still being developed, hence it will be key how MS treat early adapters of this platform.

15. aalsheh

aalsheh TS Rookie

hmmm, gotta jump on the bandwagon and create the fart app ASAP

16. they are announcing this because there new wp7 is released soon well when and if they release any info about it im waiting for it as cant decide between htc hd7 or htc hd or the yet to be released dell

17. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +19

New platform easy to develop hope they can compete with android since it's easy to develop hope they can come with some new features that can rival android.

18. xcelofjkl

xcelofjkl TS Rookie Posts: 86

I'd rather have 1,000 useful and comprehensive apps than 100,000 not so useful apps. Wouldn't be able to browse all of them anyway.

19. dear sir my htc 3400 not connected with my laptop del inspiron 15r through USB any solutIon

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.