TechSpot

Dell keyboard keeps skipping

By SHPIA
Jul 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. My dell laptop seems to have a glitch in the keyboard. I've had my laptop for several years and this problem has persisted ever since I purchased it. I'll begin typing and all of a sudden, the cursor moves to a different location and continues to type. I've researched this problem and have tried the different tips (disable enhanced mouse precision; making sure I'm not touching the mouse pad) to no avail. Any suggestions on correcting this?

Thanks

2. mike1959

mike1959 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,017   +51

At the risk of repeating what you may have tried, does the same thing happen if you plug in an external Keyboard into a USB port?
    Does the the same thing happen in all types of application, Word, Notepad, online?
    Have you tried this program;- http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze/

3. SHPIA

SHPIA TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 18

Thanks, Mike. Yes, the problem persists in multiple applications. I downloaded the program that you recommended and so far, so good. I will continue to monitor it. Thank you for your help.

4. mike1959

mike1959 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,017   +51

No problem. I have heard of this problem before on an Advent laptop, the touchpad buttons were 'clicking' at random, as well as the cursor moving around. So I tried the Touchfreeze program, and it worked in that case.