Dell Laptop keeps crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no clue what happened. My laptop was perfectly fine just 2 days ago. I woke up yesterday and turned it on only for it to give me a blue screen. Then it gave me an option whether I wanted to "Launch Window Repair" or start normally. I chose to start normally and it had the blue screen again, so this time I chose Launch Window Repair....and it took about 15 minutes to go through a bunch of processes and it finally started up. But the information on my desktop and my background was all from about a month ago. Mozilla Firefox won't start and old programs that I uninstalled are now here again. I uninstalled everything and shut down my computer only to find that the next time I started it, the same Launch Windows Repair popped up again. How can I fix this so I don't keep going back in time with all this info and have to wait 15 minutes to start it up.
Thanks.

P.S. A little background info...Dell Studio running Windows Vista 64 bit processor. Still have 130GB out of 320 so I dont think the problem is the memory.

Can you attach the minidump files from your Minidump Folder found in the Windows Folder in the C Drive? We only need the files; your five most recent. Notice the Manage Attachment button when you post next time. You can Zip to five files in one Zip file. If you have only one or two just attach as is; no need to Zip them.

*** You still might want to consider freeing up some gigs on your harddrive.

I found the minidump files but when I try to attach it, it says you do not have permission. I have looked through the control panel for a way to allow it but cannot find it. I apologize, I am not the most computer savvy person :/

No need to apologize! :) TechSpot has a minimum of to how many posts you have here before you are able to attach minidumps. But there are many people per week who are brand new that attach them at first post. Why them and not you? I haven't a clue.

Anyway, do the following standard diagnostic step and run Memtest on your memory to test for the possibility of corrupted memory. It is safe and free and the good thing is it engages right after boot-up so you don't have to concern yourself with the issues you are dealing with.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back