Dell laptop works slow after about 20 mins or so of online gaming

By Sothe0
Jun 6, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm using a Dell Laptop right now (As I have no other good choices) and, after about 20mins (Give or take) of playing online games, it starts to pause/freeze. It's not permanent, it ends after about 2 minutes, but it gets annoying after a while.

I'm looking for help to see if anyone knows how to stop this or If I just have to get a new computer, or just live with it.

Further notes: I have Automatic Updates Disabled (But this has been happening before it)
    I use Satellite internet (Because there is nothing else out here other than Dial-up)
    This does not happen on browser games, and the laptop works fast every other time.
    And, I have 10/298GB's taken up on the laptop.
  2. fastco

fastco Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,511

Is the fan working on the laptop? Could be an overheating issue. Download Speedfan from the download section and check your temps. How much ram do you have installed?
  3. Sothe0

Sothe0 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I'll try downloading the Speedfan.

Also, I only have 10GB/298GB of RAM taken up.
  4. Sothe0

Average Temperatures:
    HD0 : 32C
    Core 0 : 51~52C
    Core 1 : 53C

In-game Temperatures after about 20mins (When it starts to lag)
    HD0 : 35C
    Core 0 : 85C
    Core 1 : 87C
  5. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,032   +69

What game(s) you play on it? and what is the model / specs of this notebook?
  6. Sothe0

I found out it is caused by the laptop overheating. I'm going to try and get some things to help cool it down when I'm playing. Thanks for the help!
  7. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,032   +69

Well best thing you can do is to get a cooling pad ... specially if that model have air vents at the bottom side.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.