Dell Latitude "battery not installed" preventing BIOS update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening All,

I having a problem with my Dell Latitude D610.

I went to update the BIOS and it said that the battery is not installed despite the laptop running solely off of battery power!

I have ran the dell device diagnostic and device manager and no issue appears to be with the battery. When you check the battery info in the BIOS settings it says the batteries are not installed and also when you log into XP it constantly says running off of AC power even when its not plugged in!

Any one got any ideas what could be causing this and how it can be solved?

Thanks Nick

It may be referring to the CMOS battery which is wired to the computer beneath the keyboard. The battery can be replaced for $8.95 to $29.95 depending on where you purchase...

But regardless, you do have a problem that must be resolved. The D610 has been one strange little irrelevant problem after another... but you cannot afford to irritate it and have that mysterious unremovable password appear as it has on so many D610 and D620 Dells.

I've tried replacing the CMOS battery and that has no effect. The problem is still there.

Its really stange as the battery is charging and running correctly yet it still says its on AC power!

Anyone got any other ideas?

Do you know of any possible reason why you need to update the BIOS?
You are probably fine leaving it alone until you figger out why it is misbehaving.

I have no urgent need to update the BIOS was just going to do it to get the laptop up to date with all the drivers from Dell.

The biggest issue this causes is that it doesn't tell you how much life is left in the battery as theres no power meter because its always thinks its on AC power. I can't figure out any reason why its doing it!

sorry, it seems dell made a big nonsense of the latitude D6xx, i had the same problem yesterday with my D600, i kept trying by taking out and putting in the battery, after some time i was able to flash the BIOS. see if the battery is lose some how. cheers

I however have still have a problem, when i plug in the AC supply, it takes several very long hours for the battery to charge up, and the laptop keeps "coming on" and "going off", on it's own accord.
if any one's got a solution let me know.

sorry, it seems dell made a big nonsense of the latitude D6xx, i had the same problem yesterday with my D600, i kept trying by taking out and putting in the battery, after some time i was able to flash the BIOS. see if the battery is lose some how. cheers

I however have still have a problem, when i plug in the AC supply, it takes several very long hours for the battery to charge up, and the laptop keeps "coming on" and "going off", on it's own accord.
if any one's got a solution let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back