Dell Latitude D531 won't start

By ddeo
Feb 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi All, I have a Dell Latitude D531 that stopped booting last week. When you press the power button, the lights/indicators turn on and you can hear the HDD spin up but only for a couple seconds and then it shuts off. No error beeps, the screen never turns on I think because it happens so fast.

I have tried starting it with and with out the battery with the same results. I am thinking maybe it is a dead fan?? and the system doesn't start to keep it from over heating?

Please let me know if anyone has any troubleshooting ideas. Thanks, Dan
  2. bartosh

bartosh Newcomer, in training

dude i have the same thing. did u take it apart and then reassembled per any chance?
  3. ddeo

ddeo Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Hi Bartosh, I did not take it apart. all that I have tried is to take the battery out and the hard drive out. Held the power button for a minute, then plugged back in (with no battery or hdd) and hit the power button again. Same this, turns on for a second or 2 and then turns off.

Let me know if you have any other ideas??

Thanks, Dan
  4. bartosh

5. bartosh

dude, my problem is resolved, the power supply was faulty. i changed it to a different one and was fine.
    check it mate ;)
  6. ddeo

ddeo Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Hi Bartosh, sorry for the late reply. I ended up buys a new computer for my wife to replace this one. Was it difficult to replace the power supply? Where did you get yours? I am interested in doing the same to try to revive my Latitude.

Thanks for your help. Ddeo
  7. bartosh

hi man
    no it wasn't . a friend of mine had the same one, so i got it to trouble shoot first, then i ordered one from the net. before u buy anything u have to check first ur prob maybe slighly different, u never know ;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.