Dell Latitude D610 - upgrade advice please

Have above with ram 512 and 40 gb of memory.

I am looking to upgrade but is the hard drive ide or sata compatible.
I need 160 gb and will also upgarde the ram with cruical memory.

Should I look at changing the cpu, and if so what to.

Cheers

If I were in similar circumstances, I would buy an entirely different laptop with a 2.0 GHz or faster dual core processor and 2 gigs of RAM. Then the old laptop could be sold for $150 or so to off-set the costs.

Upgrading the CPU of a laptop is a pain. While installing an HDD with a higher storage capacity and better RAM are quite easy to do, you probably won't notice any increase in performance. Also, the resale value of the computer would not increase as much as the cost of the upgraded components.

If you remain focused on the D610, a decent laptop for most folks,
then Fill the memory slots to 2 Gigabytes, and upgrade the hard drive to a Seagate, Western Digital Black, Samsung, of Fujitsu 250 GB to 320 GB... both sizes are quite reliable now.
Shop among the popular sites: Directron.com, NewEgg.com, TigerDirect.com, Frys.com, PCMall.com, Krex.com, ZipZoomFly.com, and any other name sites... and get those with the lowest combined price with shipping.
You will need a #0 philips screw driver, and some rubberized gloves to keep static electricity down... along with a working space where you can take your time... along with a Dell recovery/re-install disk of Windows, and all the downloads from www.Dell.com support for the product ID on the bottom of your computer.
Avoid Hitachi and other brands not listed above... The ones that come in a box, are more expensive but give you extra ease if you wave warranty issues. But the bare drives wrapped in static free plastics are every bit as reliable, and prices are much lower...

Back