Dell Latitude E6400 BSOD

By jgarreola79
May 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Have a remote user receiving these BSOD. Dump on 5/5/2011 points to avast and have suggested a reinstall after using avast clear utility to completlely remove. I've seen this issue on a few Latitude E6400's on the update to Avast Pro 6 from Avast Pro 4.

The dumps on 5/9 and 5/12 may point to a memory issue and wil have user come in to do a memory test. Any other insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,113   +23

As per your dumps the issue is with the Avast 6 drivers aswSP.sys and aswMon2.sys. Now normally Avast is a very stable software but people appear to be having issues with version 6.0.1091 and that the newer version 6.0.1125 seems to be stable.

See this link: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=77591.0

* If you continue to have issues I suggest going directly to the Avast forums. It is friendly, helpful, and will respond in a very decent time. Please keep us updated.
  3. jgarreola79

jgarreola79 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

That is exactly what I thought. I know Avast has given my users issues and have had to downgrade to Pro 5 to get the BSOD corrected. Hopefully the update to 6.0.1125 helps. Any clue on the ntoskrnl errors?
  4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,113   +23

ntoskrnl is a core Windows OS driver. The thing about OS drivers is that they are usually too general to be of much diagnostic help. They function by saying there is a problem without actually pointing out what the problem is. There are a few exceptions like the ones that have to do with networking/internet connection but ntoskrnl isn't one of them.

Please do us a favor and let us know if you gain stability with the latest Avast version. That information will be be most helpful. Thanks.
  5. jgarreola79

jgarreola79 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

No BSOD after Avast update to 6.0.1125. Thanks for the help.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.