Dell M1730 reinstall of OS and drivers and utilities disks problem

I have a Dell M1730 with Vista and I can't get all the Utilities and Drives to install. My system has it's Partition has Image Restoratiion removed and is used as storage files. My Device manager shows all drives installed and update except my 3D controller which shows yellow warnings. My Dell System Owners page shows about half of drivers and utilities are installed and I believe I should be able to install the rest manually. It seems that it works, but after restart the items I tried to reinstall, still don't have a check mark and my Installed Program lists have only 1 program listed, "Dell Resource CD". Things are wanting to work but my LAN files are not listed and wireless network files are missing for which I was going to use to fix my reinstall. Does anyone has suggestions on what to do?...or what to expect to do next

Your computer has a service tag. Go to www.dell.com and head to support, and then enter it to get your drivers.

Download the LAN and wireless drivers, and any others you need, and save them to a USB thumb drive, or burn them to a CD etc, and then use that to install them on your computer.

Once up and running I strongly suggest you create your own driver CD by downloading the drivers for your specific computer using the same process. The resource CD's are handy, but they cover a million models and in my experiences critical drivers are usually missed out when auto-detection fails to find them.

I've removed your two other threads. One thread is more than enough.

Thanks for the good information, Leeky, or getting my PC working again. Who'd a thunk that my DELL restoration disks didn't have all the information that was pre-loaded on my XPS.

They probably do, but in my experience with Dell's some don't tend to get marked up, and you end up hunting elsewhere in the disc. Its just easier getting them from Dell using your service tag to be honest.

I tend to download the drivers from Dell and then burn them to a CD. Then I have the exact ones I need if I do a reformat.

Back