Dell M2010 Paperweight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help...Help...Help!

I dumped and reinstalled Windows XP on my M2010 and got it back up and running, I then put in the resource disk and started to install the drivers. First I installed the Bluetooth and moved on to the next driver, while doing this the Bluetooth mouse wizard popped up and my computer froze. I hit the power button and the computer shutdown. I rebooted and windows loaded, but I have no use of my keyboard or mouse. I connected a USB mouse and keyboard, they light up but do not respond either.

I tried to pair the Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, they light up but never pair. The Bluetooth icon is in the task bar, but the inside of the icon is red.

When I plug in the USB mouse and keyboard they light up but my computer does not message that this hardware has been connected.

So basically the only thing I can do is turn the computer on and off.

Help...Help...Help!

Start over and forget about using the resource disc... Go to Dell's support site and get the drivers from there. If you haven't updated XP to SP3, you might do that first

You may have to take it in for service, unless you know how to reset the CMOS by removing the CMOS battery yourself

It might just return the function of your keyboard and mouse. Have you tried connecting an external keyboard and mouse?

Yes, they light up but do not function. Also when I plug them in my computer does not chime and tell me that the mouse or keyboard are connected.

So we're back to resetting the CMOS, but the laptop needs to be disassembled. At least, the keyboard has to be removed. Some laptops do have an access door on the bottom

I dumped and reinstalled Windows XP on my M2010 and got it back up and running,
Please start that "reinstall" again
Or just setup Windows clean (ie not repair, just do a new installation)

Sorry I'd just like to be clear
When you boot from the Windows CD (loading all the drivers etc)
You do not have any keyboard response (mouse don't worry yet)

If no, then obviously this is a hardware fault, or CMOS setup error
But how can you run Bios setup without a keyboard? Is the question (and I take it that you have tried other keyboards (even the older style PS2, if that connection exists on your computer)

I wonder if you should try "chatting" with Dell, on alternatives (including hardware warranty). You can find that info h e r e

Nope, keyboard lights up, but does not function at all.

I have tried USB...nothing. There is not a PS2 connection.

Next step is Dell, I am at work and you cannot chat without the express code.

you cannot chat without the express code.
Yes I know :(
They allowed it about a year ago without this, but now you need the service tag and model etc (its made it hard for me sometimes too!)

Please reply back tomorrow, or whenever you're able to next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back