Dell Optiplex 7010 motherboard

Hello,
I had a dell optiplex 7010 (service tag# 3LLBSW1) computer.
I took the motherboard out of this computer and installed it into a new ATX case.
all went well now I 'm having problems connecting the front panel audio, power switch, reset switch, & HD LED)

the dell connector is different than the cables I got on the new case. can anyone please help me to figure out how to plug these cables into the motherboard.

thanks

The front audio connector, power switch connector, hd connector, and reset connector that Im not sure about. the original dell case connector looks different, im sure I can use the generic cable that was included with the case but I want to post the pictures that way you guys can guide me in the right direction. I want to make sure I get the right pins connected to the mobo. The cables shown are the cables that came with the case and the motherboard is a Dell optiplex 7010. If this is going to be difficult to do than all I really need to get me up and going is the power switch cable shown below I guess the other cables can be left disconnected because I still have the back audio.

Front_Panel.jpg

Front_Panel2.jpg

Power_Switch.jpg

Power_Switch2.jpg

I appreciate the help

Here is a pic of the original Dell front panel & power switch connectors that connected to the motherboard.I need to connect the above power switch and front panels cables to the motherboard. thanks again for your help

front_panel.jpg

power_sw.jpg

I did some digging around, and Dell uses proprietary plugs.

To fix power:
  1. Connect up the PSU and everything.
  2. Using a paperclip, touch two pins on the PWR_SW.
  3. If nothing happens, proceed to next pair.
  4. One of the pairs should start the computer up.
You can't damage the computer. I'd say it's one of the edge pairs of pins. Once you find it, connect up the power switch header.

For the front panel, it's hard to tell from the angle of photo. Are the cables 2-pin deep? You could just connect them side-by-side and see if it works. Or do they not fit?

St1ckM4n,
thanks for the help, I will try that , so I cant short anything out on the board if I use the paper clip to find the power pins?

also the front panel connectors seem to be keyed differently they are 2-pin deep, so yeah your right they won't even connect to the motherboard, so I guess I'm out of luck on the front panel ports. do you have any ideas for them. can the plug be separated and connected to the board that way?

thanks

Yeah this was my mistake back in 2008 when I pulled my dimensions 2400's mobo out and put it into a nice new case. I had to cut the connection out of the dell case and through trial and error got the right wires into correct headers from the new case. But mine was a bit easier mine was just the power, power LED, HDD Led and that was it, yours has USB in it as well? Also your SOL on the audio the HD audio and AC97 plugs are also different on dells boards.

Try doing a search for front panel extension cables. You should be able to obtain separate cables for each front panel function so you can plug one end into the Dell proprietary connector block and the other end into the corresponding set of motherboard headers. At the very least you can probably hook up the power on and reset switches so you'll have a functioning PC.

Much simpler than cutting apart the Dell connector block. I have never needed to try this myself, however, but the cables are inexpensive and worth a try, IMO. The cables may come in sets that might contain some cables you don't need but it's still worth it.

If you can't get the audio hooked up properly, you can always get a separate audio card for that. Similarly, you can do the same for USB.

Yeah, I'm sure some adaptor cables are floating around on ebay. But realistically, if you have power switch you're pretty much good to go.

Yes, you can pull apart the connectors and attach to pins directly. But I can't find the pin-out information for the header.

Good luck.

But I can't find the pin-out information for the header.
Using the old Dell case as a reference, perhaps the OP can trace the wires from the proprietary connector to the switches and connectors on the case and match them to their respective header pins on the Dell motherboard. For example, find the wires from the power button on the old case and, using the wire colors, trace it back to the connector block, then see which motherboard header pins they would connect to. Rinse and repeat.

That'd work, yeah. Also remember you have two diagnostic lights you don't care about, which is 4 pins.

Hey guys I got the power switch connected and that works now. I disconnected the other cables that can't be used.

I have been experiencing a problem now that the computer has had time to run for a few days. Just to recap what I did. I took out a Dell Optiplex 7010 motherboard and installed it into a ATX case. during this upgrade I bought a Geforce GTX 780 graphics card and installed it seems that the system has been unstable since I put the video card in.
I have been getting messages like
OpenGL Driver Lost Connection - error code 7. I did some edits and some changes to the video card settings like some had stated to do for this message. I have 24 GB of system memory installed and also a 875 w power supply. Do you think that its the Dell motherboard causing me the problems? I have the latest video card driver installed.
It's kinda crazy just weird stuff like monitor wants to go to sleep when it loses video connection and all the hibernation stuff is turned off.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me on this one.
I had thought about just formatting the HD and starting all over to see if its a windows problem. I have currently installed Win7 Professional. I'm just confused here..

Thanks

I dont know the exact issue, so I'm throwing out ideas:

- Reinstall NVIDIA drivers, select the 'clean install' checkbox
- Take out the RAM sticks that don't belong to the original pair - just for testing.

I'm really getting aggravated with this graphics card. I have reloaded Windows OS thought maybe something was going on there. The system comes up fine, whats so weird is and I dont know if this is a Windows 7 thing but you know how if you have a new device installed when you get the system booted up a new device wizard comes up asking to install the driver, well this dont happen. If I install the driver from the CD then the system will reconize that theres a Geforce GTX 780 card installed and when I restart the PC this is when my problems begin. Sometimes during the reboot the monitor says "going to sleep" and monitor light turns amber color and then sometimes when it does boot up the screen is a weird color just like there is no driver loaded and one time I got this error "Code 43: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems".
Whats so weird is when I first installed this card the setup worked fine and the reboot was fine, I was just having problems with losing video connection between the card and monitor.
Is this Geforce GTX 780 card not going to work in the Dell Optiplex 7010 motherboard?
Here is a pic of how its connected

photo.jpg

I really appreciate all your help and time on this issue. I cant remember having this much problems from a video card.

Oh yeah I even went to NVIDIA website and downloaded there updated driver still same thing.
I have the DVI cable connected to the DVI-D port on the video card, same outcome.

This problem seems to be a video driver problem because after its installed thats when the problem occurs.

also is there a setting in the BIOS that I need to make, I have updated the BIOS to the lastest version

Thanks again

I have no ideal if this will work for you but it did me. I was having the same problem you are having with update drivers. I have a GTX 660ti. If I update to the newest driver. I get the results you are having. So I went back to the driver I had no problems with. It is 314.22. Now if I remove this card from my computer to another. It will run any of the newest drivers. With no problems. I chock it up to . This computer is retail with a OEM Board. If you do change drivers do a clean install.

Last edited:
It's honestly starting to sound like a fault with the GPU. You said it never worked 100%.

Try some of the older drivers, if not, RMA the card.

Hey guys,
here is a quote from a guy I ran across on the net regarding the same video card.
[quote name="totalownership" url="/t/1411500/official-evga-classified-owners-club/3680#post_21156530"]Ok guys I give up. Got the card today and been having nothing but frustration.
I installed it and it worked fine for about 30 minutes. I played one game, left the replay running for a little, quit the game and went to relaunch it and screen went black and my system restarted. Ever since the restart it just goes into the default resolution and it just doesn't work.
Device Manager sees the card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (doesn't see classified, don't know if it's supposed to or not)
But it has an error: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
I tried 331.65-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql and the latest beta
I tried the software that came on the CD
I tried letting windows update it. Tried everything I can think of and still with the same error.
Help me guys. Don't know what to do at this point but re-install Windows 7. Not really trying to do that unless I really have to.
I assume I removed all AMD stuff as I had a crossfire setup before.[/quote]

I have an email sent to EVGA and they had me to update my MOBO drivers, BIOS, & check the +12 voltages coming from the powersupply to the video card to make sure its getting the correct voltages and this all seems to be fine (mine was 12.17v) I already had the drivers updated. I get the same results. here is a pic
Screen_1.jpg

Also if EVGA decides to replace the video card and I think they should since its only 2 weeks old. Do you guys recommend buying a better motherboard to put this card in?
If so what do you recommend getting I have an (Intel Core i5-3570 CPU 3.40 Ghz) processor that I would like to save me some money and get just the MOBO for this type of processor.
Again I appreciate the help

Hello guys, sorry to revive this post. I am on the same plan than jaybird34. But taking a look at his experience, I beleive I have discovered what is causing this issue: the PCIe x16 slot wattage. Check this doc from dell: http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex_7010_technical_guidebook.pdf

"SYSTEM BOARD CONNECTOR MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE DIMENSIONS"

PCIex16 Slot (BLUE) (Voltage supported 3.3V/12V)

Maximum Wattage 50W for SFF

Do you think this may be affecting the GPU? Thanks

And yet this is another revival of the topic. I have the same issue as OP with connecting the power switch of my ATX case to an optiplex 990. It has the same connectore for the front panel and the power switch as the OP's 7010. I need a pic of how you made it. Otherwise, what wires should I splice to combine with the power switch cables?

I couldn't do the paperclip test. as soon as I turn the PSU on, the pc starts without the switch!!! Should I run into windows and shut down prior to do the paperclip test?

Thanks

I figured out the power switch wiring
when looking at old cord:

1 orange power led one side
2 red unknown
3 yellow power white
4 blue led other side
5 black power orange

when looking at mother board

Hi all, sorry to bring back to life this issue, I have the exact same issue, could somebody give me the right way to adjust the Powe, Reset, HDD led?, I'm using the corsair carbide spec-02 gabinet.

Also have the same issue with the HD audio cable of the front panel

thank you in advance

Back