TechSpot

Dell Optiplex GX280 beep code

By Code Butcher
Sep 25, 2009
  1. I got a Dell Optiplex GX280 tower, P4 3.2Ghz DDR2. When I start it up there is a long beep followed by 5 short beeps. I know the beeps mean something, but I don't exaclty know. I've tried changing the RAM, to no avail. Could it be video, because there is no signal to the screen?

2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,374   +167

3. Code Butcher

Code Butcher TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 84

Thanks, I took a look, but still can't seem to find my problem. There are 4 lights on the back A B C D, A and B are Orange, and C and D are Green. If that helps.

4. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,374   +167

Someone else might have more specific help for you... but i'd also say you should try Dell;s site, click under support then find manuals and stuff for your specific Optiplex. Here's a link for the manuals

5. Code Butcher

Thanks again, I found information on my problem, looks like a memory problem.

6. Code Butcher

It's a memory problem alright! But the memory is fine. I removed one of the DIMMs and it booted fine, then switched to make sure the other one was bad, still booted fine. Then I installed in the 2nd DIMM slot, booted ok. It seems that it won't boot in Dual Channel. Is this something I can fix by changing a setting or is my forever locked into Single Channel mode?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.