TechSpot

Dell Optiplex GX280 blinking amber power light

By BWebster82
Mar 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. My refurbished dell optiplex GX280 worked fine until a month or so ago when I moved it to another room in my home. When I powered up, the power light was blinking amber. I tried all of the options that did not require buying new parts du to financial reasons, so it's sat since then.:mad:

I just decided to look at it again and powered it on. Everything seemed to start OK but no dispay. The diagnostic lights indicated faulty memory. I then located and removed the faulty DIMMM, and it started right up. :D

About ten minutes later the computer shut off by itself back to the blinking amber power light. :evil: :mad: :confused:

Any info would be appreciated Thank you. :grinthumb

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,865   +165

The power supply has probably gone bad...

3. BWebster82

BWebster82 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Bad PSU

Thanks for the reply. I will check eBay to secure a replacement to try this out. What part # should I look for?n

Is this a common problem with these machines?

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,865   +165

I would say yes, it is a common problem. In EBay, do a search for "dell optiplex GX280" power supply. Just pay attention to the model number on the power supply referencing the wattage rating

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.