Dell PP29L stops running after a second

hello to all ,
I find the threads very intresting and helpfull for a gizzer guy, well here goes ,my daughter has a PP29l dell that won't power up and she ask ,dad can you fix this? so I say Let me look at it. I then went to your tech site and learded how to take it apart to fix the problem of: powers up for one moment ,fan runs then stops , no screen, according to SimonEast I'm looking for a mag sensor labled u1 but having trouble locating it . is it in the board above the two mouse pads or on the mother board or in the display screen?. as far as i can tell the small board above the pads won't remove very easily,need a little more price guidence.
thanks

Okay, this is a Dell Inspiron 1526. All your future posts should reference this model.
Go here and look over the manual...
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/manuals?s=dhs

I have no idea what a Mag sensor is other than a magnetic sensor of some sort. The first thing you should do for not powering up is to remove the battery and AC adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds, and try power up on AC only. Next remove the hard drive, then swap memory positions... After all this start digging into the laptops innards. The motherboard could be bad period

go to sleep sensor

I was told that the go to sleep sensor that is shut off when you close the lid is malfuctioning and the location is U1 , take the sensor and cut it in half to disable it .the person 's id was simoneast from techspot
is there a simoneast here?

That procedure will only prevent the display from turning off... The fans will run and the lights will stay lit for a time longer than a few seconds, depending how the power settings are set. That sensor is a small switch near the right-side lid hinge. You have to remove the plastic piece right above the keyboard, exposing this switch and the top hinges

sw is hibernate

I have the plastic and metal covers off, on rt side near hinge I have 2 usb ports and a 9 pin din plug mounted on the rio board and speaker to left of corner, but no sw or U1 spot

The switch has to come in contact with the bezel around the LCD panel. Carefully look near both top hinges. The switch is on a small circuit board sometimes held in place by one small screw. Try lifting the speaker assembly. It is also likely that the internal CPU and chipset cooling assembly might be clogged with dust

yes

the cooling duct that attaches to the small raditor for cooling the CPU was clogged with dust and cat hair (3 cats) .cleaned it and reapplied thermal cooling grease on CPU

Okay good :) Was there any thermal pads on the video and chipset IC's... Does the laptop start up and run normally now?

thermal grease

I cleaned the two surfaces on the CPU and chipset and reapplied grease still does same ,acts like start fan comes on for 3 sec then stops

You didn't mention if you saw thermal pads anywhere on the Cooling heatsink. Also, did you notice if the thermal paste was dry and brittle or were there brown spots on any thermal pads. There is no motherboard tests in this case. The laptop shuts down way too fast. You can trash this laptop and not proceed with any further repairs, or continue with another motherboard. You can use the original CPU, Heatsink, modem, wireless card and memory. This business of U1, was common problem with laptops built in the early 2000's, but we don't see it much on the newer laptops. I suspect that simoneast is a former old time laptop repair engineer... I'm 61 and I work on laptops all the time... 3 or 5 a week now. Motherboard replacement is very common. I just repaired a Toshiba with the same problem as your Dell, ONLY, it stayed on for 20 minutes or so, and then slowed way down, all the way to freezing, but it didn't shut down. The cooling fins were totally clogged. The thermal pads were burned and the thermal paste was dry and brittle, but the motherboard was okay

processor and chipset

both of these had brittle as plastic coatings on them, i cleaned them with a small razor and applied new thermal, I do appriceate your expert info and would like to replace the motherboard you wouldn,t have the p/n i should get by chance. I know you said you got yours off ebay /paypal I am familar with those. thanks for all your advice

The motherboard part number should be located in the memory compartment under or on the memory sockets

repairs

I've been scowering the ebay sight and found many mothers boards most have no warranty ,however there seems to be some repair shops there. as you have said you have repaired many of these units are you willing to give mine a try? I rather pay someone who tried to help me rather than a no name shop

I'd be happy to do the repair... we are not paid to help on this site, so I don't want to break any rules here

Back