Dell Precision M4500 stopped recognizing battery

By jayski
Jun 23, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, I have a Dell Precision M4500 laptop which stopped recognizing the battery a couple months back. I have had the laptop for one year now with absolutely no problems up until this happened. I am pretty sure the battery is still good, it's not that old, but since the computer wont even recognize it is in, there's no way to check if it can charge. I am running Windows 7 64 bit. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, maybe there is a fix before I have to shell out the money for a new battery.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,673   +152

Laptop batteries go bad any time, and they are considered to be "consumable" like paper is to a printer. Replace the battery and you should be okay
  3. jdillman1502

jdillman1502 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 232

Any time I've had a Dell laptop say it was unable to identify the battery, I did a BIOS update and it corrected the problem. You may want to see if there is a new BIOS available for your laptop.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.