Dell Precision Workstation 690

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two Dell 690@s. One has a hard drive fault. I have deleted and remade the dos partition. When I boot from my XP CD and try to install windows it says there is no hard drive attached. Have tried on both machines. Same result. I checked if my good drive (which is still working) would try tio install windows but I get the same result. (no hard drive attached) Am I doing something wromg

What is/was the hard drive fault. And how did you deal with it. It appears your system worked until this drive fault occured.
Slso, specs for the computer would be nice.

Hi Thanks for the Reply

We Had a blue screen crash and data corruption. Tried to repair windows with XP disk but said no hard drive attached. Because of this problem I deleted the partition with fdisk, made a dos partition then tried to install windows but same problem. The drive has been checked with dell utilities and found to be good. As I said I tried to do the same thing on a fully working 690 and have the same problem. On bootup drive seen and ok. Boot of of XP CD Ok and loads drivers etc. when selected enter to continue load of XP it says no drive attached even though there is. Exactely the same on both machines. Must be some sort of thing with the 690??? or is it.
Just thought to make it clear the second system I tried it was with a working drive, the one I am using now, was going to stop it befor it made any changes.

DELL PRECISION 690-INTEL XEON 5140 (2.33
2 RESOURCE DVD : PRECISION
2 2GB DDR2 667 QUAD CHANNEL FBD MEMORY (2X
2 FLOPPY DISK DRIVE : 3.5" 1.44MB
2 HARD DRIVE : 250GB (7200RPM) SERIAL ATA
2 OPTICAL DRIVE : ROXIO CREATOR 10.3 INCLU
2 OPTICAL DRIVE : 16X DVD+/-RW DRIVE
2 SATA NO RAID FOR 1 HARD DRIVE
2 GRAPHICS : 768MB NVIDIA QUADRO FX4600 (D
2 DELL BLACK 2 BUTTON USB SCROLL ENTRY MOU
2 KEYBOARD : UK/IRISH (QWERTY) DELL QUIETK
2 OPERATING SYSTEM : ENGLISH GENUINE WINDO
2 OS MEDIA : ENGLISH WINDOWS XP PRO SP2 RE

hope you can help. I have tried many ways of getting it to work.
joe

Any chance you used the same SATA cables or connectors? The connectors and cables, memory slots, power supplies, etc. are where we see such problems.
Very unusual to see what you describe... and it would have to be more than bad luck.
The Dell Precisions have had some motherboard problems, but I don't know which few modesl they are.

Hi

Thanks for getting in touch. Yes I did, the dell XP disk did'nt have the correct drivers. I got hold of a up to date version and this allowed me to see my drives.

Thanks again fro your help

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back